Monday, January 23, 2012

Everything's War

They say I can say it now
I can talk all about it
Say it's safe
To talk about
What we done
What I done
What's been done

Safe now
Fine now
Go ahead and tell

What's next, huh?
No more war?

See, that'd be too bad
Because I like war
Because I'm used to war
Because I've had war
All my life

Ain't nothing new to me
I could fight
I do fight
I plan on fighting
Until I die

Not like Ben
Ben didn't plan on dying
Ben didn't like fighting
Ben just did what his dad told him

His dad told him to fight
So he fought
And then he met me
And he said 'Dad, I got a friend'
And his dad said 'You got more than a friend.  You got a brother.  That's your brother now.'
And that fucked Ben up
Because he didn't think of me like a brother
But he didn't tell that to anyone

Except I knew anyway

And one night
I told him
I didn't tell him nothing dirty
I didn't talk to him like that
I just told him it was okay

It was okay to think what he wanted

That nobody can have rules about thinking
Not even the army

That's the thing about America
We're supposed to think what we want

So Ben started thinking
And he thought, You know what?  I'm in love.  How about that?
And he told his dad
Because he loved his dad

And he couldn't lie to him
Any more than I could lie to God
And his dad said--

You might as well be dead now
You might as well blow your fucking brains out
For as much as I care about you right now

So that's what he did

And I found him

And that was it

That was years ago

Long, long time

And now they tell me it's okay

Now they tell me
It's fine

Talk all you want
Feel all you want
Think all you want

All cool now

But I say 'Fuck that'

I say 'Fuck that' because same way you can't make a law
That says you can't think something
You can't make a law
That says people have to accept you

People don't have to do shit
They don't want to do

Now they're standing around a rabbit hole
With a gun
Telling me

Come on out, come on out

I'd rather put the gun under my chin
Like Benny did

At least then I wouldn't die like a fool

You trying to tell me it's over?

It's never over

The fight's never over

It's always just starting

And that's fine by me

That's what I signed up for, right?

War

I can fight a war

I can fight a war forever

I got no choice?

'Cause see, when you're someone like me

Everything's war

No comments:

Post a Comment