Friday, January 27, 2012

It Happened Once

It happened once

Only once

I mean, at one time
It only happened for this particular
Period of time
And it was...

You know, it was a little like--

Going over a waterfall
I just couldn't stop myself
I just couldn't--

I thought I was past the age
Where something like that
Could happen

I thought that I'd reach a certain age
And certain temptations
Would just go away

And so it snuck up on me
It did, it did
And I'm sorry

But it was so long ago now that--

I feel like I'm--

Like I'm apologizing for something
Somebody else did
Somebody I don't even know anymore

And I didn't have to tell you about it
I could have kept it to myself
I could have just let it go on and on

If you hadn't found out by now
What were the odds
You were ever going to find out?

But, and I know this isn't the right reason I should--

I didn't think you'd be mad
I really didn't
Because of what happened with you and--

And that was one time
And this was one time
And in the timespan
Of a long, long marriage
Two errors, two mistakes
Two periods of confusion
And uncertainty
Are not that bad, right?

I mean, think of the people we know
Who have always had it bad
Who make mistakes everyday
Who stopped loving each other years ago
And stay together now for who knows why

We're not those people
We're not constantly screwing each other up

We made mistakes
I made a mistake
Yes, we're talking about my mistake

But it's over
It's all over

And it was once

It only happened once

I know that it never happens to some people
I know that, but...

But we're not those people either

We're lucky but we're not perfect
I'm not perfect

You understand that, right?

You can get past a one-time thing, right?

You get all this, right?

Right?

...Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment