Friday, January 6, 2012

He Doesn't Talk

He doesn't talk

I have no idea if he speaks English
I'd ask him, but he'd nod
Which wouldn't mean anything
He nods constantly

Sometimes a question hasn't even been asked
And he nods and nods
And I have to tell him
That it's impolite to nod
When nobody said anything worth nodding at

What do you mean 'Why am I marrying him?'

Why not marry him?

He is, perhaps
The first man
Who has ever gone this long
Without disappointing me
By revealing some awful fact
About himself

Usually by now
I've heard about an overbearing mother
Or an addiction to something
Or toes that look like chicken fingers

Not with him

With him I know nothing
Because he doesn't talk
And it's a wonderful
Situation

Almost everything they tell you
You need in a marriage
Is highly overrated
And potentially fatal
To the aforementioned marriage

Communication
In-depth knowledge of the other person's wants and needs
Sex
Compatibility

All highly unnecessary

This man sits with me on my living room sofa
And watches twelve straight hours of whatever's on the Style network
Without making so much as a peep

Show me one husband
Who would do that
For his wife

I'm not even entirely sure
What I have here is a human being

I met him at a bar
I mentioned that I was about to turn forty
And so I'd have to be getting married
Within a year or so
Or risk having to practice saying things like--

'I'm sorry, but I have to get home before NCIS starts.'

I asked him if he was interested
In being a husband
And he nodded

So I took him home

And we've been very happy ever since

Oh sure, it's not ideal

But ideal is something you grow out of
Like miniskirts and optimism

Eventually you're just happy
That you have someone sitting next to you

Someone who understands
That love in its purest form
Is silent

No comments:

Post a Comment