Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Why I Did Nothing

Yes, I saw that man hitting the other man
And yes, I thought it looked--

It looked bad, yes
It did look bad

But, you know, what was I supposed to do?

Jump in with them?

How would that have made things better?

You know, I got kids?
I got kids
And I can't go
Jumping into every fight
To save some old guy
Who might be on drugs or something
Hell, they both might have been on drugs
Him and that kid

How was I supposed to know
The kid was a robber or a mugger or whatever?

It's none of my business

You know, there was a time in this country
When people minded their business
And that was okay
Nobody expected you
To stick your nose in every place

Now, if you don't get involved in every little thing
People treat you
Like you're as bad
As the people doing whatever it is you're not stopping

I mean, what if that guy had a knife?
What if he had a gun?
What if he pushed me backwards
And I fell and cracked my head on the sidewalk?

I knew someone that happened to once
And they had kids
And now their kids are missing a parent

That wasn't because they got involved in anything
That was just because they were drunk
But do you see what I'm saying?

You gotta watch out for things
You never know when doing something
Is going to lead to you getting into trouble

And for what?

For some person you don't even know?

I mean, don't get me wrong
I'm a Christian
I know Jesus did all that nice stuff
For strangers and whores and whatnot
But Jesus didn't have kids

Jesus could see the future
Because he was, like, magical or something
Son of God, whatever

So don't tell me to be like Jesus
Tell Jesus to come down here
And help that old man himself

Because I gotta worry about me
You know what I'm saying?

Sometimes you just gotta worry
About you

No comments:

Post a Comment