Sunday, January 1, 2012

Two Guys

Here's how I know I'm getting older:

There are always two guys
At a party

Always

The same two guys

And it doesn't matter
How big of a party it is
Or how fun it is
Or anything

There are always--

Two guys

One of the guys is like--

The fun one

Telling some story
That involves him
Being loud
And gesturing a lot

And the other guy
Is standing by
Having a drink
Enjoying himself
But not, you know
Asserting himself

Now

When I was younger
I would have sought out that quiet guy
On the sidelines

I would have wanted
To find out his story
Cheer him up
Get him to involve himself more
Chase, and chase, and chase
And usually--

Usually he'd spend all night
Telling me about the person he's dating
Who just moved to wherever
And he's got so much baggage
Because of the situation
And I'm so nice to talk to him
And boy oh boy
What a great new friend he's made

And--

And here's how I know I'm getting older

And now
I see that guy
And I see the guy
Telling the big story
Making the big moves
Getting everybody to laugh
And enjoy themselves
And I say--

Regarding the quiet guy
I say--

With all due respect
To quiet guys

Fuck that

I'm partying with the fun guy

Because, you know
Life is too short to be quiet

And it's really too short
To be spent
Trying to get quiet guys
Not to be so quiet

No comments:

Post a Comment