Friday, June 17, 2011

Charlie and the Grim Reaper

The last husband I buried
Was a delightful man

The trouble is
When you have that many food allergies
Eating at restaurants
Can be very tricky

I told him that chicken
Was probably cooked in peanut sauce
But he just didn't want to listen

He was delightful but stubborn
And now he's dead

See where stubborn gets you?

I'll be honest with you though
He wasn't as hard to lose
As the third husband

I was an absolute mess
When my third husband died

Perhaps because it was unexpected

Husband Four, with that thick head of his
Was bound to go before me
But I really thought Number Three
Had a chance at outlasting me

But when you don't look both ways
Before you cross a country road
Getting hit by a tractor
Seems inevitable

I have to admit
I'm getting used
To speaking at funerals

Charlie and I met at the senior center
In town

He was a very frank man

He asked me if it was true
Do they really call me 'The Grim Reaper'

I told him it's just a pet name
And I'd gotten used to it

Then he asked me out for lunch

I think he was a little bit intrigued
By my bad reputation

Men are so often
Drawn to death

Just like my second husband
Was drawn to heavy, unsteady construction equipment

Charlie and I had a good time

We'd go out dancing
Or for long walks
Or deep-sea diving

I prefer to go without the oxygen mask

I mean, how can you see anything in the ocean
If you have that bulky mask in front of you?

My first husband
Agreed with me

That poor man

Charlie was the first person in a long time
Who could keep up with me

Perhaps old age
Had given him a new hunger for life

It certainly gave him a hunger
For other things

Hehehe...Oh I'm being naughty

Anyway, I really thought Charlie might end up being Husband Five
But then he passed on

In his sleep
In the hospital

Not the most exciting way to go
But I suppose that's a relief

I don't really think I'll ever love again
But you never know

Life has a funny way
Of surprising us

No comments:

Post a Comment