Saturday, June 18, 2011

Charlie Protests

Charlie and I were in a few protests together
Our first year of college

It started with a bunch of concerned students
And turned into
A sort of protesting clique

We elected a Head Protester--That was Me
And a Vice-Protester--That was Charlie

My duties were to find things to protest
And Charlie's duties were to tell me
I was right about everything

Charlie was very good at his job

Eventually, the other people in the group
Got sick of making signs
And coming up with chants
And pretending to care about the Moldavian fly
Even though it's practically extinct at this point
And wouldn't be if more people
Had taken some initiative

Finally, the day came
When Charlie and I
Were the only people
To show up for a protest

We did a lock-in at the school library
To protest either too much censorship
Or not enough censorship
Or both

I can't remember

We were giddy from the hunger strike
We had just finished
And tired
And the flourescent lights were beating down on us
And one thing led to another
And then all of a sudden
We were making love on our placards

The next day
I still had magic marker
And the words 'Stop the--'
Imprinted on my back

It was sort of...magical

After that, I didn't have the heart to protest
I was in love

But then Charlie got really into school
Because he didn't want to, you know, fail out
And I remember being really disappointed in him

So I quit school
And moved to Mexico

I tried to start a few revolutions
And ended up becoming involved with a drug lord

I'm not allowed to talk about what happened next
But let's just say, the U.S. got involved
And when I died
Of old age
I had a new name
And I was living in a lovely house...

...Somewhere...

...Somewhere that rhymes with 'Kansas'...

I guess we all lose our passion eventually

At least I caught a little bit of Charlie's
Before it disappeared completely

It's too bad he succumbed to academia

Based on his lovemaking
I can safely say

He would have made a hell of a drug lord

No comments:

Post a Comment