Saturday, June 4, 2011

Charlie's Thanksgiving

I met Charlie on Thanksgiving

I was at this Chinese restaurant
Because my company had sent me away on business
Which meant I was about two thousand miles
Away from my family
And anything resembling a home-cooked meal

I was sitting in the restaurant
When I noticed Charlie sitting at a table
Across the room from me
Eating kung pao chicken

We kept glancing at each other
Not in a 'I find you attractive' sort of way
But more in a 'This is so sad/Aren't we both pathetic'
Kind of way

Then Charlie did something really cool

He picked up his table
It was this little table for one
And he picked up
And brought it all the way across the room
And set it down next to mine

And I laughed
Because the image--

This guy carrying this little table
With kung pao chicken on it

Then one of the waiters came out
And saw him carrying the table
And started saying something in Chinese
So Charlie smiled at him
And pulled up another table
And motioned for him to sit down
And then the waiter started laughing
And then the hostess came over
And Charlie pulled up a chair
Then another table
Because by then the cook was out
And somehow I ended up spending Thanksgiving
With Charlie
And the entire staff
Of the Orange Pagoda restaurant

When we were done with dinner
And the restaurant people were cleaning up
Charlie asked me what I was doing there
And I told him about work

Then I asked him why he was there
And he said--'Family stuff.'
And we left it at that

We exchanged e-mail addresses
And kept in touch for awhile
But eventually I met a guy
And we got married
And I quit my job
And Charlie just sort of faded away

I can't say my Thanksgiving with him
Was the best Thanksgiving I've ever had
But you know what?

It wasn't the worst
And it definitely could have been

It was by far the most memorable

So I'm glad he brought his table over

You know, people give you all kinds of gifts

Sometimes they're tangible
Sometimes they're not
Sometimes it's just taking a bad day
And making it bearable

Charlie did that for me
I'm sure he did it for other people too
Because I could tell he was that kind of guy

So Charlie, wherever you are
I just want to say--

Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment