Thursday, June 23, 2011

Charlie's House

I sold Charlie his house
The one he died in

Well, he didn't die in the house
He died in the hospital
But he lived in the house
Until he died

By the way, if you're looking for a house
It's a gorgeous little property

He kept it pretty much immaculate

Didn't even use the second bathroom
At least, not from the looks of it

And--

And I mean he was a nice man
But--

AND--

He didn't even take advantage of the opportunity
To turn the side room off the kitchen
Into an intimate dining room
As I suggested he do
When he bought the house

Bachelors have very limited ideas
When it comes to decorating

I was actually surprised he wanted a house
Since he said he wasn't planning on getting remarried

'I just want a place my daughter can stay,' he said, 'Not an apartment.  A place that feels like a home.'

Isn't that sweet?

I mean, that's really sweet

I thought about lowering my fee
Just because of how sweet that was

...But I was probably a little drunk when I thought that

I had a drinking problem
Back then

That's how Charlie and I met

Through the program

Except I fell off the wagon
A few more times
Than he did

I guess my wagon
Was going down
A bumpier road
Than his was

Hahaha

No, but really, it's nothing to joke about

I always used to joke
That's why Charlie never liked me

Oh sure, he let me find him a house
Because I'm good at what I do
But he never actually liked me

Once he was moved in
I'd offer to come over
And help paint
Or hang pictures
Or just clean the place up
And he'd--

Well, he'd always say
Thanks, but no thanks

Finally, after a meeting one day
I said--

'Charlie, I know I'm not the perfect program guy like you are, but I'm not a pariah.  I'm not going to corrupt you.'

He looked at me and said--

'I just want to be alone.  Don't you get that?  Doesn't anybody get that?  I bought a house for daughter and she can't be there for more than an hour without saying she wants to go home to her mother.  I'm going to be alone in that house for the rest of my life.  As long as I'm going to be alone, I'd rather just be alone.  I don't want to be part-time alone.  If I'm going to do it, I'd rather just do it.'

That was Charlie

All or nothing

When he died, and I offered
To find a buyer for the house
So his daughter wouldn't have
To deal with all that

I went in
And nobody had touched the place

It felt like he'd just left
A few minutes
Before I got there

I could practically see the path
In the carpet
From his bed
To the bathroom
To the kitchen
To the livingroom
Back to the bed

Over and over
No deviation

He may as well have been living
In a prison

Who knows, maybe in a way he was

I decided to show up today
Looking like what I looked like
When I was younger

In reality, I'm ready to retire
And Charlie's house
Is going to be the last house I sell
Before I do

I think I want to give it
To a nice family

Some kids
Nice parents
Maybe even some pets
Even though they ruin the carpet

I want to sell the place
To the kind of family
Charlie wanted

I don't know what good it'll do now
But...

I don't know

It just seems
Like the right thing to do

No comments:

Post a Comment