Friday, June 17, 2011

Charlie's Car Accident

Charlie hit my car
One day during a snowstorm

He went to stop at a light
And slid right into the intersection

Lucky he wasn't killed

I wasn't too angry about it
That's what insurance is for
And I was just glad we were both okay
But Charlie was pretty broken up

'This is my Dad's car,' he said

I told him his dad would be happy
That he was alive
And not to worry about it
But Charlie looked at me and said--

'He's, um, he's not around anymore.'

I looked at his car
And realized that even with a decent mechanic
It wasn't going to be in good shape
Once it was repaired

Luckily I'm better than a decent mechanic

'Tell you what,' I said, 'There's no point telling the insurance just to see your rates go sky high.  Kid your age, that's what would happen.  I'm the best mechanic in town.  I'll call my shop and have my guys tow these two cars.  You show up tomorrow morning and we'll get to work.  By the end of the week, these cars'll be in better shape than before the accident.'

So I gave him the address
And had one of the tow guys
Give him a ride home from my shop
And the next day
He showed up on a bike
And we got to work
Bright and early

It was nice working with Charlie

He wasn't too skilled with tools
But he had a lot of heart

Reminded me of my kid
Back when he used to work on cars with me
Before he joined the Army

We worked everyday
A little bit on my car
A little bit on Charlie's Dad's car
And by the end of the week
I'd kept my promise

Those cars were practically mint condition

'Hey Charlie,' I said, 'You ever need a job.  You just let me know.  I could use an extra pair of hands around here.'

He thanked me
He was a real polite kid

'But,' he said, 'I think you did most of the work.'

We shook hands
And he drove off

Don't ask me why
But I felt bad for that kid

Seems like that car was all he had in the world
And when he thought he lost it
That was it
The spirit just went right out of him

I was glad to see him get it back again
But it made me nervous too

Cars don't last forever
Even good ones
No matter how many times you fix 'em

You need something more than that in life
To hang onto

Me, I got my son

I got letters from him
Right up until he was discharged
And then he came
And took over the shop
And I used to sit around
Outside the garage
Shooting the shit with people
And enjoying the sunshine

That was the most I ever needed out of life

I hope Charlie found something for himself
And I hope he found it
Before that car gave out

No comments:

Post a Comment