Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Charlie and the Pregnant Lady

Charlie and I got mugged at the same time

It was a traumatic experience

Charlie's lucky he didn't have a heart attack and die

He wasn't from New York originally
And I think he was only there
For a wedding or something
And then he just ended up hanging around
Which people sometimes do

That's neither here nor there

What's here and there
Is that I was pregnant
And as soon as we got mugged
My water broke

I remember yelling at the mugger
Saying--

'Look what you did!'

And him saying--

'I popped you?'

And me saying--

'No, you asshole!  I'm pregnant!'

And he said--

'I didn't get you pregnant!'

That's when I realized
He was one of those crazy muggers
Who want money
So they can buy a zebra
From the zoo

I slapped Charlie
Because he was in shock at this point
Either from being mugged
Or from seeing a woman's water break
Right there on the sidewalk

It was about 3am
And I had gone out to the all night store
For some Gatorade
With chewing gum
Because my unborn Sophia
Had a thing for fruit flavoring

Once Charlie was coherent
I told him to get on his cell phone
And call me a cab
So we could go to the hospital

'You want me to go with you,' he said
'You gonna let a pregnant woman go to the hospital alone,' I said

Then the mugger goes--'I'll go with you'

And I said--'Like hell you will.  You just mugged me.'

Even though all he took was the chewing gum

Once the cab got there
Me, Charlie, and the mugger got in
Because I didn't want to argue with the mugger
Since crazy people tend to be unstable

I did have to keep slapping Charlie
Because he kept shaking his head
Saying 'This can't be happening'

So I had to keep sleeping him
Saying 'It's happening, Charlie, it's happening'

When we got to the emergency room
The nurse asked me who the father was
And since I had to choose between the mugger
And Charlie
I chose Charlie

I wasn't about to tell the nurse
That the baby's father
Was an asshole from Brooklyn
Who knocked me up
Right before he told me
That his wife's coma wasn't as serious
As he thought it was

Charlie was there when my little Sophia was born

He cut the cord and everything

I said 'Charlie, you got any kids?'
And he said, 'No'

I said, 'You should have some kids.  They're the only real proof that you've lived on this Earth.'

He said, 'That's good advice.'

And I said, 'Don't I friggin' know it?'

He gave me a kiss on the head
Handed me the baby
And took off

Although he did leave a check at the nurses' station
And it wasn't for a small amount either

I put it towards Sophia's college tuition
But she ended up using it
To get a tattoo of a lizard on her ass

Kids are kids, right?

I saw the mugger a few months later
When I was walking Sophia
In her stroller

I asked him if he was still mugging people
And he said that he was off his meds
And now he's fine
And back at his regular job

I asked what that was
And he said--

'I'm a professor at Columbia'

Just goes to show you
You don't know anything about people

You think you do
But you're wrong

You're pretty much always wrong

No comments:

Post a Comment