Friday, June 17, 2011

Charlie and the Literature Club

I wanted to start a Rainbow Alliance at school
But the school wouldn't let us
Because they said it would be 'promoting sexuality'

I tried to fight the decision
But I nearly wound up in detention
And I didn't want to ruin
My flawless transcript

While I was pondering how to stage a hunger strike
Mr. Stamp asked to see me after Creative Writing class

'How would you like to start a literature club,' he asked

I told him that with all the other activities I was involved with
Plus the passive battle campaign I was planning
To get a Rainbow Alliance started
I wasn't going to have much time to discuss 'Madame Bovary'

That's when he explained to me
That Literature Clubs
Can discuss all kinds of things

Like personal struggles and confusion and identity...

That's when I picked up
On what he was throwing down

. . . . .

The Literature Club met after school
Every Wednesday
And there were about five of us

Once word got out
That the club was a front
For a covert Rainbow Alliance

We had to move into the smaller part of the cafeteria
Just to accommodate everybody

It wasn't just gay kids

I myself only identify as bi-curious
But I believe in tolerance
And sexual experimentation

One time, we were talking about contemplating suicide
And Mr. Stamp told us about his best friend
Who killed himself
After struggling his whole life
With being gay

I could see it was the first time he'd talk about it in awhile
And I respected him for sharing that with his students
Even though it probably would have gotten fired

At the end of the year, the School Board
Was called on by the ACLU
And we were offered the opportunity
To have a Rainbow Alliance at school

I politely informed the administration
That many of us were too busy with Lit Club
To think about starting a Rainbow Alliance

I'm now a civil rights lawyer
And I do some sky-diving on the side
Just to keep life interesting

I'm married to a nice man
And we have two sons
Both of whom have lovely girlfriends

(But the jury's still out on one of them)

As I understand it
The Literature Club is still going today
And that's because of Mr. Stamp

As far as teachers go
I never met anyone better

No comments:

Post a Comment