Thursday, July 19, 2012

A Delicate Balance

I have Martin
He’s my partner
Husband
Whatever we’re calling it nowadays

We met back in 2006
When he was working as the house manager
And I was the directing A Delicate Balance
At the Orpheus Theater

Martin and I have a life
A nice life

A house
Two dogs
Three bedrooms
We go to Kansas City
Once a year
To see his family
And Baltimore every three years
To see mine

We both do theater
And we both love it

But we rarely, uh, see each other
I mean, in the context of work
And so…

Not ‘and so,’ sorry
Not ‘and so’

Um…

Martin slept with this other guy
After A Delicate Balance
This actor
He really likes actors
And as a director
That really sort of irks me
But…

But I sleep with them too
So what am I really supposed to say about that?

We are
Surrounded
By cute
Gay
Actors
All the time
And we’re human

So…we have rules

The rules keep things in check

The rules are
I can sleep with actors I’m not working with
The ‘not working with’ part
Is my rule
For myself
I am allowed to sleep with actors
And Martin is allowed to sleep with actors
And we
Are not
Allowed
To sleep
With the same actors

Because actors
Talk

So he sleeps with actors
And says ‘It’s an affair.  Don’t tell.’
And they think it’s sordid and wrong
And so they keep it secret
To keep it sordid and wrong
And I do the same with my actors
And the same thing happens
And everybody knows what’s going on
And nobody says anything
And it’s really quite fantastic
Except for the fact
That I want to kill myself
Al the time
Everday

And I’m very, very aware
That one day
We’re going to be old
God willing
Or not
And not all that pretty to look at
And we’ll still
Be surrounded
By gorgeous
Actors

And we will not have, uh, cultivated
The personality
To deal
With that

With being just…

With just being…with…

Each other

And I worry
And I don’t
Because I love him
And he loves me

But we’re never alone
Never
And we tell ourselves
That we are the way we are
And that’s because we’re passionate
And artistic
And interesting
And so, it’s okay
It’s okay to be this way
To do things this way

That it’s how we work

But one day
It will be how we don’t work
Do you see?

One day it won’t work

And we don’t think about one day
And we don’t talk about one day

We just wait for it

For the day
Things have to change

And in the meantime
We suck up
Every minute
Of now

But I can feel it
Disappearing

The now
The present

I can feel it
All
Just…

Disappearing

No comments:

Post a Comment