Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Seagull

The thing you have to understand
Is that I’d been promised Arkadina
For years

For.  Years.

Jim used to tell me
‘Next year, next year, we’ll do The Seagull
And then for some reason or other
It never happened

Then Sam took over
And the first thing she announced
Was that we were closing her first season
At the Orpheus
With The Seagull

And she was going to play Arkadina

Obviously, what developed after that
Was a rather
Delicate situation

I mean, how does one look at one’s own boss
And say politely yet firmly—

‘Step off, whore’

--And still maintain a professional relationship?

I knew something that was going to happen
When they made an actress
The Artistic Director

Sarah was an actress too
But she gave it up
Once she was promoted
Out of courtesy
To her former company mates

This woman, however, had no such loyalty

Samantha loved nothing more
Than to hand leading roles over to herself
As a pair of derelict parents
Might turn their child over
To a squalid orphanage

I did end up explaining to Samantha
That I was offered the role first
By the former AD
And that I felt she should honor that contract

She offered to let me play the mother
In ‘night Mother
And then told me
I should start letting my hair go gray

I asked if she would be playing the daughter in ‘night Mother
And who would be supplying the prop gun
As I had one she could borrow

We went back and forth for awhile
Until finally we agreed
That I would play Hedda at some point in the near future
And she would never have to be within ten feet of me
Until she retired or died
Or had something heavy fall on her

The arrangement worked out quite well

So you see, it really is true
What they about theater

It’s all about collaboration

No comments:

Post a Comment