Friday, July 20, 2012

Speed-the-Plow

We’re doing Speed-the-Plow
Next year
Even though I begged him
To do Jesus Christ Superstar

It’s a rock opera
It’s Andrew Lloyd Webber
It’s Jesus

It’s a sure thing

But Tennessee is very—

He’s still interested
In preserving the sort of
Dignified impression of this place
That hasn’t actually existed
Since the sixties

I tell him—‘We’re not really a theater anymore, Ten
We’re a complex.’

An arts complex, yes
But still, a complex

We house shows
We don’t really produce them
We sure as hell don’t conceptualize them

As soon as an audience hears the word ‘concept’
They assume you’re going to be smearing grape jelly all over yourself
And milking goats onstage

So we try to avoid screwing around with things too much

I like to say we ‘present’ things here

We don’t really do productions
Just presentations

And if you’re asking me
Or if you’re going to ask me
Or whatever
If I feel bad about that
The answer is ‘No’
I don’t

Because my job is the business side of things

And presentation
With a theater as big as ours
Is about all we can get away with
And even then, sometimes, it fails us

There was a year we did nothing but Shakespeare
And it flopped
Totally flopped

Of course, that was before my time
Before Tennessee was even here
But still, if you can’t count on Shakespeare
What can you count on?

Tennessee wants to do Speed-the-Plow
Which is Mamet
Which is not awful
Which I can sell
Sort of
Hopefully
Maybe

But I wish he wouldn’t keep sticking a toe
Over the line

I wish he would just realize
That this is the new reality

The new reality is Jesus Christ Superstar

That’s what the audiences want

And, you know, if the rest of us are trying to, like, keep our dignity or whatever
Then we do it by telling ourselves
That if it were up to us
We’d do nothing but weighty, artistic, heavy shows
That really meant something

But until the economy does a one-eighty
Or until people want to learn
How to milk a goat
We do things my way

And if that makes any of you sad
Then just consider it looking at it
From a different vantage point
And then another
And then another
Until you start to see
How these circumstances could actually be beneficial
To the work we’re doing here

After all, I’m in business
If there’s one thing I believe in

It’s the power of perception

No comments:

Post a Comment