Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Frankie and Johnny in the Clair de Lune

My last show at the Orpheus Theater
Was Frankie and Johnny in the Clair de Lune
Middle of the Twenty-Eighth Season

I passed away at the beginning
Of the 29th Season
And in tribute to me
They did a one-night, special benefit performance
Of Frankie and Johnny
With my wife as Frankie
And Jim, the Artistic Director, and also, my lover
In the role I played

It was very moving
And, being dead
I had great seats

What can I tell you about the Orpheus
That you don’t already know
Or haven’t already heard?

I was there when Sarah started it
Then Sarah passed away from cancer
And Jim took over
And everybody hated him
Because he dressed up in these awful Miami Vice suits
And fired anybody he didn’t like

I thought he was the worst-dressed sexiest man
I ever saw in my life

But I was married
To my best friend
Because she needed a green card
And so, acting on my feelings was…complicated

Oh, plus he was my boss
Let’s not forget that

The only reason anything happened at all
Is because of that great American tradition

The holiday party

We both wound up under the mistletoe
We kissed when nobody was looking
Then we both wound up under the set
For Titus—not the most romantic atmosphere, but…

I really loved him

He’d have little flings here or there
But that didn’t bother me
It couldn’t bother me
I was married

When I got sick…

It was me being stupid

Hooking up with an old flame one last time
And then getting a phone call
Telling me I probably had HIV
And sorry

Or maybe he didn’t say sorry

Who knows?

Apologies don’t really matter much
Once you’re dead

That performance of Frankie and Johnny
That benefit performance?
--Was very good

Jim wasn’t as good as me, of course
But my wife was stellar

I loved that instead of some big memorial for me
They just did what I loved doing
Performing

They performed in my honor

It’s like saying they lived in my honor
At least, to me, it is

That’s what theater was

Pure living

And we lived in that theater
All of us
We really lived there

And when I’m there now
Even after having been dead for over twenty years
I still feel…

Alive

No comments:

Post a Comment