Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Mourning Becomes Electra

I drove cross country with Jim
Right after he left his job
At the Orpheus

I’d sort of been in and out of acting
Because I’d been in the company
A few years earlier
When Jim first got there
But then I moved to Chicago and—

I don’t know

Got confused, I guess

The only show Jim and I ever actually worked on
Was Mourning Becomes Electra

Jim always loved big shows
Big projects
Events

He really knew how to make theater
Feel important

He used to call me ‘Kid’
Even though I was in my twenties
When he first took over the theater

When he called me and said ‘Kid, I’m leaving’
I got on a plane
Flew to the theater
And helped him pack up

Then we drove

We drove all the way to L.A.

That was back when I was twenty-nine

By the way, do you like my twenty-nine year-old body?

I haven’t seen it in awhile

Nowadays my ass can touch my shins

Back then, I could still turn a few heads

Not Jim’s, of course
But maybe that’s why we got along so well

We just…cliqued, you know?

We sat in that car for days and days
Talking about theater
And art
And the Orpheus
And what was going to happen
Without him

He told me…

He said he’d made some mistakes

Look, I don’t know anything
About the financial stuff, okay?
I just know that he really loved that place
I mean, how could he not?
It was where he met Chris

Maybe that’s why he couldn’t stay
Maybe it was just too much, you know?

All of it

We got to L.A.
And he said ‘Keep going’
And I’m thinking ‘Where?  The ocean?’

‘Yeah, the ocean’

We parked near the pier
And he took the urn out of the back

I left him alone
But I could see him from the car
Holding that urn with Chris in it to his chest
Then tipping it over
So everything in it
Fell into the ocean

Then he walked back to the car
Looked in the driver’s side window
And said—

‘I’m all set, kid.  Thanks for the ride’

And that was that

I never talked to him again

He was one of the best friends I ever had
But…you could tell it was hard for him
To…attach himself, I guess

I drove by myself
Back to Chicago

But, eventually, I ended up going back home
Back to the Orpheus
Back to my roots

I’ll probably be working there
Until I die
But you know what?

That’s okay

It’s home, you know?

It’ll never be a million dollar job
Or get me on television
Or win me any Tony’s

But that place
That company

They’re family

And I don’t want to have to call a near stranger one day
When I have to do the most important thing of my life

I loved Jim Powers
But I don’t want to wind up like him

And wherever he is
I hope he’s all right

I hope he found something
He could finally hang onto

No comments:

Post a Comment