Thursday, July 19, 2012

Proof

Ten tried to fire me from Proof
Because he found out
I wasn’t the character
I was playing

Or at least
His image of the character
I was playing

These pictures got out
Me
On a website
Leather
Red fingernails
Cat costumes
That kinda thing

And he got all freaked out
Because he thought
I was little miss innocent

So he tried to fire me
Under this bullshit pretext
That there was some morality clause
In the acting company contract

Believe me

There is no
Morality clause
In the acting company
Contract

I once saw two guys take turns
Blowing each other
In the upstairs stairwell
During tech rehearsal
For I Remember Mama

We don’t have morality
Here at the Orpheus Theater

It’s just not on the menu

And I was playing a crazy person
Who might not be all that crazy
So if, in life, I presented a different picture of myself
As opposed to who I am behind closed doors
Couldn’t that almost be considered research?

I said, ‘Tennessee, I know you want to fuck me
And I know that when you do
You want me to be pristine
And virginal
And my actions have ruined
That little fantasy of yours
But trust me, you men need to understand
That there are other
Much better fantasies
Than the innocent schoolgirl
And the naughty Artistic Director’

His face turned the color
Of sour coleslaw

But I did get to stay in the show

Directors always want you to just be real
And so, really, what they want
Is to prevent you from doing your job
Because your job is to act
Not to ‘be real’

Not to ‘bring yourself on stage’

If all any of us wanted to do
Was walk around in front of people
Saying things and doing things
We’d do in our everyday lives
We’d all just take up careers
As homeless people

Instead we act

And when we’re not acting
We’re…

Well, I guess we’re never not acting

But that’s the point, isn’t it?

Isn’t that the whole point?

No comments:

Post a Comment