Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Sweeney Todd

We ushered in the 90’s at the Orpheus Theater
With Sweeney Todd

Considering how much bloodshed there was at the theater that decade
It seems oddly prophetic

That season was sort of a turning point

It was when we stopped being stopped being looked at as a theater
And start being looked at as the cultural equivalent
Of a Dairy Queen

We started dealing in fluff
That was the year we did nothing but musicals
Not that all musicals are fluff
But, keep in mind, we did The Pajama Game

A theater that once received acclaim for its production
Of The Lower Depths
And was named after Orpheus Descending
Did The Pajama Game

It was all a little surreal
For those of us in the acting company

Anyway, we’re closing the season with Sweeney Todd
And, as you might expect
There were all these mechanisms
To create the blood effects onstage

The thing is, we weren’t really a theater
That dealt with special effects much, you know?

So now we all have all these prop razors
That shoot blood
When you do this or that

Well, I was playing Sweeney
And I couldn’t get the hang of it

Jim, the director, and the theater’s AD
Used to lose his mind on me
Because I would always forget
To trigger the blood in rehearsal

Pretty soon
I was a nervous wreck about the whole thing

Anyway, opening night comes
And I’ve managed to screw up releasing the blood
Every single night of previews
So Jim threatened my job

Seriously, that’s what he did back then
To get what he wanted

He just threatened to fire you

And they weren’t empty threats either

He had me so anxious
That when the show started
And I had to trigger the blood
For the first time
I jammed the button
And the blood not only came out
It wouldn’t stop coming out

The actor I was supposed to be shaving
Got blood all over him
And the audience gasped
But I think they thought it was just an artistic choice
Until I panicked
And turned the razor towards them
Spraying everybody in the first three rows
With fake blood
Including the local critic
And his wife—who I believe was wearing a very expensive looking dress
That was probably reduced to a paint rag
By the time I was done

They had to stop the show
And the stage manager had to come out
And turn off the razor
Only after everything onstage
Was covered in red

Jim did fire me
But he let me finish out the run first

What a sweetheart, huh?

After that, I gave up acting
And went into the novelty business
With my younger brother

My best-seller?

A blood-shooting knife
Sells like crazy around Halloween

Am I sad I left the theater?

Well, the short answer is—

Not that theater
Not the way it was

When I got the axe
That place was nothing short
Of a horror show

No comments:

Post a Comment