Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Bus Stop

The big problem was the drinking

Yes, there were drugs
There were drugs everywhere
This was a city
This was 1981, ‘82

But most people just sort of touched down on the drugs
Then went back to their alcohol, you know?

I mean, there was that girl in The Cherry Orchard
Who got so messed up
She started thinking her husband was her brother
And he had to put her away
And sell her farmhouse
But she was kinda messed up anyway

The rest of us weren’t like that
Not at all

But we did drink

Actors, crew

I was crew

Too scared to ever get onstage

Beau drank

Our captain, he drank
The man, the legend

You bet he drank
How could he not?

You try running a theater, okay?

You try it
Without any addictions
To help you out

I loved Beau
Loved him, okay?

And so I didn’t give him shit
About his drinking

I remember when we were doing Bus Stop
This was at the beginning of 1982
And it was snowing out

I used to love doing shows when it snowed

Where you feel like you’re trapped in the theater
So you can just relax
And let the show take care of you

And did I have a crush on Beau?

Yeah, maybe

He was old enough to be my father
But he was handsome
And so passionate

Used to punch walls—BAM
Haha I liked that

My Daddy used to do that too
Punch shit
But not ‘cause he was passionate
Just ‘cause

Anyway, one night Beau offers to give me a ride home
And I say ‘Sure’

Was he drinking?

He was always drinking

He could direct a whole show drunk
From the read-through to the closing night

If he could do that drunk
Why couldn’t he drive from one end of town to the other
Right?

I don’t remember us going into the store

I remember our reflections though
Coming at us from the storefront window

We just missed the corner
That little bench
That little bench at the bus stop haha

Funny, right?

All the coincidences

So many damn coincidences
You think maybe God’s either a comedian
Or a really good writer

Beau walked away from that crash without a scratch on him

I, uh…

Well, I didn’t walk anywhere

Manténgase alejado de los hombres poderosos
That’s what my mother used to say

Stay away from powerful men

But Mama, I’d say, what other kind is there?

She never could answer me, you know

Maybe ‘cause there is no answer, you know?

Maybe there just isn’t

No comments:

Post a Comment