Friday, July 6, 2012

The Play That Made Us Argue

I blame that new play
For the relationship
I have with my sister

I mean, things weren’t great
Between the two of us before
Don’t get me wrong
But that play really put us
Over the edge

It was called The Kids Remember
Or something like that
And the title should have been the tip-off
That we shouldn’t have bought tickets for it

But I thought—A little culture
A little quiet evening at the theater

Any event my sister and I could go to
That wouldn’t involve us speaking to each other
Seemed like a great idea

Ten minutes into the show
And I know it was a mistake

It’s all about these kids
And one kid remembers the mother one way
And the other kid remembers her another way
And I swear to God
It was like someone ripped the journal
Out of my eight-year-old self’s little hands
And put it all up onstage

Pretty soon I’m crying
My sister’s crying
I’m angry crying
She’s angry crying
I’m hitting her in the arm
She’s elbowing me in the ribcage
And by the end of the show
We’re both bruised
Our make-up’s all over our faces
And we’re sitting in my car
Eating burritos
Blaming each other
For past indiscretions
And who our mother liked more

‘Why would you take me to that stupid play,’
My sister kept yelling

‘I thought it would be nice for the two of us to spend time together!’
I yelled

‘Why,’ she said, ‘I hate you!’
‘Well I HATE YOU TOO!’

Then it got sort of out of hand
But I don’t want to share anything
Too personal

The point is, that play ruined
A perfectly dysfunctional relationship

I know some people treat theater like therapy
They want to go
And look at other people
Acting out their problems
Or problems worse than theirs
So they can feel better about themselves

Well, I don’t

I want to be entertained
I want to see pretty costumes
And accents I know are fake
And tap dancing

That’s what I pay for
That’s what I like

I hear that theater’s in trouble now
That they’re running out of cash

Yeah, I wonder why

You can’t emotionally traumatize people
And then expect them to come back for more

My sister and I sure as hell never went back
From that point, we stuck to movies
And Applebee’s

And we never had any problems
After that

No comments:

Post a Comment