Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Man Who Came to Dinner

We all knew there was money trouble
I think, subconsciously
You know?

But when it got really bad
It sort of caught us by surprise
Like a wave
That just rushed up on us

Suddenly they were talking
About maybe closing the theater for a little while
Or renting out the spaces
To , like, traveling circus troupes or something

I mean, I’m being facetious
But not really

We were starting the thirtieth season
With The Man Who Came to Dinner
And I remember that halfway through the rehearsal process
The rumor was that we were going to have to stop the show
Because it was too expensive to mount

When all that got back to Jim
Good ole Mr. Hollywood started firing people left and right
Trying to keep the gossip under control
But it only made things worse

And it certainly didn’t endear him to anyone

One of the directors
Threw a dinner at her house
Trying to sort of
Make peace
Between Jim and the actors

I went, but right away
Things just…got heated

And yeah, I’ll admit
That I threw a few logs
On the fire

Do you know how much Jim was making back then?
Do you have any idea?

I mean, not that any of us weren’t getting paid
We were getting paid, actually
But he was getting rich, okay?

He was getting rich
While the theater
Was on the verge of closing
I mean, does that seem right to you?

And then he’s sitting there at this dinner table
Talking about how we should be grateful to him
Because the Executive Director
Wants to cut the company in half

I said ‘You’re cutting the company in half anyway
You’re just telling yourself it’s for poor behavior
Rather than financial necessity!’

In the six years he was at the theater
He never once took a pay cut
Even when the shit was hitting the fan

The year we did the worst?
The year the doors almost closed?
He got the Board to give him a twenty percent raise

Then when the check cashed
He took off and went to L.A.

Jim never cared about anything but the money
He had no respect for the theater
For the acting company
For the legacy of this institution

We almost had a fistfight
Right there at that dinner
I may have even thrown a roll at him

Anyway he took off
And I just sat there
While everybody tried to calm me down

Nobody ever said anything to him
Because nobody wanted to lose their job

So we all just sort of sat by
While that theater sunk into the ground

Everybody talks about the acting company
Like we were this team, this family, you know?

When really
We were all looking out for ourselves
All of us

Jim fired me right before he left
And I don’t talk to any of those people anymore

You know, sometimes I think getting paid to do theater
Actually makes you a bad artist

It makes you forget how to fight for things
How to do it just because you love it
How to, you know, stand for something

Yeah, I threw a piece of bread at my boss
And called him a greedy asshole

But at least I did something
While everybody else just sat there
Playing nice
So they could keep getting their paychecks
Just like Mr. Hollywood

None of us had any, you know, honor

I know that sounds stupid
But it’s true

We weren’t working at a theater
We were working at Enron
At Halliburton

The only reason the place is still open
Is because it got too big to fail

You can’t make art at a place like that

I mean, look at the stuff they do now

Back then, it was shit
But now?

It’s something worse

It’s just money, you know?

It’s just a big pile of money

No comments:

Post a Comment