Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A Taste of Honey

At the start of the 29th season
At the Orpheus Theater
The acting company lost one of its members

My husband

I was doing A Taste of Honey
And Jim, the Artistic Director
Asked me if I wanted to step out
And have one of the other actresses
Take my place

I said ‘Absolutely not’
And I went on
I went on every night
Without fail

My husband and Jim were sleeping together
And Jim contracted the same disease
My husband did

I didn’t contract anything
Because my husband and I
Rarely had relations

In fact, I’m not sure we ever did
It’s been so long now
And I’ve been dead
For a few years now

A brain tumor
It was quick
Thank God

I’ve seen what happens when it’s not...quick, I mean

My husband and I got married
Because I’m from Canada
And I wanted to live in America

I was doing summer stock
In California
And he met me
We became great friends
And when I told him
I didn’t want to go back home
He said—‘To hell with it then, let’s get married’
And that’s what we did

He was a wonderful man

Losing him made me lose my faith
But not my faith in theater

If anything, it strengthened it
I came to believe in the relentlessness of art
How it just…goes on

That’s both infuriating
And comforting
When you’ve suffered a loss

The rest of the acting company rallied around me
When he passed
Even though I wasn’t the one who needed the support

Jim needed the support
So after the funeral
I went to his office
And found him
Sitting on the floor
Silently
Holding a picture of him and Chris
Like a little girl would hold a doll

I sat down next to him
I held him

They used to call him Mr. Hollywood
Because he was flashy
And kind of slimy
Like a car salesman
But the truth is
He just never had enough sincerity in his life
And I felt great compassion for him
Because of that

When he fell in love with my husband
I think it changed him
And when Chris died
I think it changed him again

When you’re broken
And fixed
And then broken again
It’s usually impossible
To try fixing yourself again

I left the acting company
After A Taste of Honey

It was too difficult
Being around the theater
All those memories

Theaters seem to hold more memories
Than normal places, don’t they?

I know people have opinions
About how we all were back then
But I don’t think about them too much

I just think of the fun stuff
Because we really did have
A lot of fun

Whatever anybody tells you
Just know this—

There was a lot of love in that building

Was it messed up, sloppy, confused
Ridiculous, complicated sort of love?

Absolutely

But it was still love

I can promise you that

No comments:

Post a Comment