Thursday, July 12, 2012

It's Only A Play

I used to have my dedication
To the theater questioned
All the time

I mean, all the time

God help you
If you call acting a job

You get your head chewed off
And everybody starts talking about sacrifice
About what they sacrificed

And because I wasn’t willing to sacrifice anything
Everybody talked to me
Like I was this awful actress
Who would forever be limited
By her lack of commitment
To the craft

Ugh, I hate that word

The craft

As if we’re making oak dressers
Or something

It’s a job, you know?

I did my job

I did it well

I just wasn’t willing to let the rest of my life go to hell
Because of it

I mean, if I wanted that
I would have become a lawyer
Or a doctor
And made more money

If I was going to sacrifice
It wouldn’t be for a play, you know?

 A part in a play?

That—once it’s over
Nobody even remembers
Ten years later?

For that I was supposed to give up having kids
Or a successful marriage
Or sobriety
Or my mind, you know?

I mean, these are compromises people made
So they could, in their own minds
Be believable onstage

Make-believe, I mean
We’re talking
Make-believe

Well, that wasn’t for me

But that doesn’t make me a bad actress

Sometimes, working at the Orpheus
Was like being in the Twilight Zone

A place where being punctual
And easy to work with
And prepared
Meant nothing

Better to be an asshole
Who throws temper tantrums
And shows up drunk to rehearsal
Because those people are showing passion

Yeah, well, screw that

In 1994, we were doing It’s Only a Play
And at one point
Half the cast was going onstage
Either high or drunk
Or both

That’s passion?

That’s love for what you do?

A long time ago
Somebody fed this entire acting company
A line of bullshit
That said acting is pain
And theater is suffering
And art kicks the shit out of you

Well, they were wrong

Acting is technique
And practice
And patience
And focus

Just like anything else in life

The minute you start saying acting and theater
Are different from the way the rest of the world works
All you’re doing is giving credence to those people
Who say what we do
Doesn’t have value

Because how could it
When we fail to take it seriously, you know?

I treated it like a job
Because it was

Did I love it?
Did I love my job?

Yes

But more than my kids?
My husband?
Hell, my dog?

No

I didn’t

Am I supposed to feel bad about that?

Because I don’t

Because when I die
I’ll have my kids and my husband
And my dog

What are all those other people going to have, huh?

Answer me that

No comments:

Post a Comment