Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Cherry Orchard

I was in The Cherry Orchard
In November of 1981
When my brother came to visit
See the show
Stay with me for awhile

You paying attention?

I don’t say anything twice
So pay attention

Because when the story’s done
It’s done, okay?

Back then I did stuff I shouldn’t have done
Shouldn’t have been doing
Should have been focusing on my art
You know what I mean?

My art

Any of you do art?
Any of you doing stuff you shouldn’t be doing?

I was a kid back then

Younger than you see me now even

I’ve been dead a long time

So it feels good again
To express myself
To have a voice

And I look pretty, right?

Don’t I look pretty?

It’s funny how good you can look
While you’re dying
You know?

People leave you alone
Because you look so good

She’s doing this
She’s doing that

But she looks good
So leave her alone

My brother came up to get me
To take me home

I had a nice place right outside of town
That was mine

I mean, I owned it
It was mine

Nobody in my family ever owned anything
And I owned this place

This little farmhouse
Had a tool shed
Had a chicken house
No chickens, but I was working on it

Then I got into the shit I shouldn’t have
And pretty soon
I couldn’t have my little farmhouse anymore

Isn’t that sad?

Hey, don’t feel sad for me
I’m dead, remember?

Pity the breathing, baby

Pi-tee the breathing

My brother let me finish the show
My last show at the Orpheus
Then he took me home
Sold my farmhouse
Never did get those chickens

You’re going to hear some people tell you
We all did bad things back then

It was the 80’s, it was the 70’s
It was the 60’s, the early 90’s

Disco, Kurt Cobain
Blood, guts, tears
Rock ‘n roll

We were actors
Artists
We starved
We died
We were reborn

Some of us lived
Some of us died
But every one of us had a story
And some of those stories got lost

You see what I mean?

A person isn’t such a precious thing
But a story?

That’s something you can’t put a price on
Something you don’t want to lose

So I left the theater
And my house
And I went home with my brother
After he ambused me
Threw me into a car
And said—You can’t be trusted anymore

Took me home
Put me in a very nice place
With Nice. White. Walls.

And that’s my story

At least what you’re going to hear of it

Were you listening?

I hope so

Like I said

You only get one chance

That’s not just my policy either

That’s life, kids

That’s life

No comments:

Post a Comment