Monday, July 9, 2012

Present Laughter

First, let’s talk about the fact
That they believed I was from Spain

Uh…right?

What part of Spain
Do the untanned, red-headed boys
Come from?

You’d be amazed
What you can convince
A Board of Directors
As long as you’re willing
To adopt a fake European accent
And claim to have known somebody famous

Of course, this was back in the early 80’s
When there was only so much you could do
To really cross-check somebody

Back then, it was a lot easier
To take over a small Equity theater company

Nowadays, you just have to buy your way in
Or be directly related to Mike Nichols

Anyway, I’m here to talk about my year
Running the Orpheus

I guess I should tell you
I was a failed actor
With no money
Who read an article
In some paper
That said this theater was looking for an Artistic Director

Now, I’m not stupid

I know they’re not just going to let anybody walk in the door
And take over a place like that, right?

Wrong

I walked in the door
I asked when the next board meeting was
I showed up
I told the Board that they were all ugly and foolish

(Again, in a fake Spanish accent/Again, they believed I was SPANISH)

And then I said I was going to be running their theater from now on

And do you know what they did?

They gave me the keys

Nobody believes that story
Hell, I don’t believe it
But it’s true

Back then, and hell, even now
The art community
Is the one professional community
Where we believe
The people who know the least about us
Are the ones who can help us the most
When we’re in trouble

We’re always looking for new blood, new blood
We never want to believe that experience is what’s necessary
And why?

Because experience bores us
Professionalism bores us
Fuck, punctuality bores us
I mean, let’s just be honest here

And then we wonder why theaters are closing left and right

Because nobody sees us as a business
Because we don’t see ourselves as a business

I just heard the other day
That an Artistic Director in Houston
Is taking a year off 
To go compete in a waltzing competition

I kid you fucking not

Does that sound like something the CEO of a company would do?

And yet it’s okay

It’s excusable

Because we’re artists
And artists do crazy shit

Hell, we’re expected to

That’s why a con artist
With a bad accent
And a bad attitude
Telling everybody they’re shit
Can be given the keys to the kingdom
And nearly destroy the kingdom in the process

Hell, I lost money on a production of Present Laughter

Present Fucking Laughter

Noel Coward

Do you know who loses money doing Noel Coward?

Nobody

Except me

I did it

No wonder the year I ran the Orpheus is legend
It should be

The Year Noel Coward Lost Money

And if you think it couldn’t happen again
Well, have you heard about the guy they got in the 90’s
After that woman Sarah?

Ohhhhh well, let me just leave you with this

You’ve heard that history repeats itself, right?

Yeah, well, in the theater
History doesn’t just repeat itself
It never ends

We can’t learn from our history
Because we live in our history
We depend on our history

Doing old plays
Putting up photos of past productions
Believing that at one point
We were at our best

It’s history
It’s all history

All we are
Is history

No comments:

Post a Comment