Monday, July 16, 2012

Lend Me a Tenor

I used to like to sleep
With at least one guy
In every show I did

I don’t want you to think
I’m promiscuous or anything

After all
Sometimes it was the same guy

And I didn’t do it
For the sex
I did it
To calm the nerves

Some people drink
Some smoke
Some bake a lot

My oven’s been broken
Since the early 90’s
So making cupcakes
Isn’t really an option

Instead, I had a nice little showmance
With a nice guy
So that I could go onstage
Remember my lines
And not knock anything over
In the process

I was very discreet about it
And I didn’t let it get to the point
Where it affected my performance
Or the performance of whatever guy
I was involved with

So you see, I was very professional
About the whole thing

The only time I ever had a problem
Was in 1996
When I did Lend Me a Tenor
At the Orpheus
And the guy I was seeing
Got a little too into me
And I made the mistake
Of breaking it off with him
Before the last performance

I thought he could handle it

I was wrong

He locked himself in the dressing room
And said he wouldn’t come out
Until I agreed to marry him

So I said, ‘What the hell?’

It had been a few years
Since I got married

There was a priest at the matinee
So we pulled him out of the audience
And he officiated

Even though the guy was Jewish
And I’m a polytheist

He married us
While my husband
Was still hiding in the dressing room
And when we came out
Everybody backstage cheered

Believe it or not
The marriage lasted a few days
Before the romance wore out of it

Nowadays, I just sleep with women

Recreationally, anyway

I’m not a lesbian anything
Again, it’s all to calm the nerves

Plus, it keeps things from getting
Complicated

No comments:

Post a Comment