Tuesday, July 10, 2012

La Ronde

I made Jim let me direct La Ronde
Because he had been accused
Of being afraid of sex

When I heard that
I said ‘Jim has too much sex to be afraid of it’

He wasn’t afraid of sex
He was just afraid of putting sex onstage

So I said, ‘Jim, let me do La Ronde
I’ll show ‘em sex’

People see a sweet-looking
Woman of a certain age
And they assume
She’s all dried up
Like a corn husk

That’s why I always bullied Jim
Into letting me direct
The dirtiest shows I could find

Because when you’re in theater
And you’re old
And people start thinking
You offend easily
You’re screwed
Fucked, sorry
You’re fucked

There, now I don’t seem so sweet, do I?

That production of La Ronde
Was so hot
I think only six people saw it
And five of them walked out pregnant

I always used to say
You know a show is good
When it nearly bankrupts the theater

I didn’t realize the kind of economic shape
The theater was really in at the time

When I found out
Through the grapevine, of course
I went to Jim and apologized
For asking to do a show
I knew would tank

He said, ‘Darlin’, you did exactly what you were supposed to do
A damn good production
I don’t have any complaints’

I know a lot of people hated him
But I think, deep down
He was a good guy
With real guts, you know?

Nobody else would have put up with my shit
That’s for sure

I know you’re going to hear
Some of the actors
From the quote-unquote ‘acting company’
Bitch and moan about him
But let me tell you something

If that theater had gone under
Back in 1992
When we did La Ronde
It would have been
Because the acting was fucking awful
Not because Jim was a bad leader

You want to see a bunch of prudes?
A bunch of lazy, out-of-shape
Pretentious snobs?

Hang out in the dressing room
Before or after any show

That company may be what the Orpheus is known for
But it’s also what’s bringing it down

Jim revolutionized that place
He made it important again
And it hadn’t been that
Since it was originally founded

He let artists be artists
And he didn’t let the actors get away with shit
And that’s why they hated him

So I don’t care to hear any complaints about him
Especially not from them

All of you, however, can feel free to listen to whatever you like

But just remember this:

The last thing you should believe
Is something you hear in a theater

No comments:

Post a Comment