Friday, July 20, 2012

Orpheus, Revisited

I don’t have the heart to tell them yet
That it’s closing

We’ve been bought out
By…I don’t know exactly
What the company does

My only hope is that it isn’t interested
In turning my father’s theater
Into a parking lot

I won’t be around to see what they do with the place anyway

I’ve taken a job
In London

I’m getting as far away from here as possible

People say you shouldn’t run from your failures
But I fail to see the benefits
Of living across the street
From them either

I don’t know when I’m going to make the announcement
Just saying the words…

The Orpheus Theater is Closing

My father would have died
Before he’d let that happen

But my father was always in the present
That’s what made him such a great artist
But a lousy businessman

He could never see the storms ahead
And fifty years
Means a whole lot of storms

Am I embarrassed
That the theater
Is falling apart
Under my supervision?

Well, I take responsibility
If that’s what you mean

It was my job to keep the place going
And obviously
I haven’t been able to do that

I could blame the economy
Or the culture
But the truth is
At the heart of every problem
Is a person
Not doing their job

Theater is no different

I guess, if I need to stay upbeat
I could tell myself
That fifty years
Isn't a bad run

This theater meant a lot
To a lot of people

I used to think my mother hated this place
Because it essentially destroyed her family
But the first time she heard me say
That I hated the Orpheus Theater
She sat me down
And said 'No, no, no'

It's easy to blame a place
But a place can't take the blame
For the things
The people in it do

My mother was a wise woman
But she put a little too much stock
In happy endings

Never liked a play
If it didn't end happily

She wouldn't admit that
To many people
But it was true

So what kind of happy ending
Could I give you now, huh Mom?

Well...

Dad always said
People don't remember the shows
They remember the pictures
What the pictures tell them to remember

Out in the lobby
There's a photo of the acting company
The first acting company
All standing together outside
At their production of Orpheus Descending


Mom was beyond pregnant with me
And Dad was smiling that smile
That meant--as soon as they take this photo
I'm going to fire somebody

Kidding--sort of

And it was a beautiful day
And it was going to be a beautiful night
And this group of people--

They were going to do something important
That day

They were going to make something
Where nothing had been before
And then they were going to wash it all away

That's what I'd like to remember
That's all I'd like anybody to remember

Just a bunch of smiling actors
Ready to put on a show

1 comment: