Friday, July 20, 2012

The Best Man

Tennessee doesn't like it
When we talk politics
Or we try to make things too political
And whenever he says that
I just want to shake him and say--

'You're an Artistic Director!
You're running a theater!
How can you do that
And stay apolitical?'

I suggested we do The Best Man
I think I suggested it in 2010
And everybody threw their hands up
Oh God, here she comes
With her political play

Well, hell yes
I want to be political

There is a war in this country
And it is a war
On what we do!

You know, suddenly--

Obama gets elected
And everybody's a friend to the arts

Suddenly it's a non-issue
The arts
When just a few years ago

--I'm sure you all remember

We were under attack
For being frivolous
For being unnecessary
For being extra


I used to watch CNN
And dream of going on one of those programs
To say--

The arts are not extra!

We are vital!

We didn't do The Best Man
We did Charlie's Aunt instead
Which is just insulting
To everyone

Audience, actors, everyone

I want to say something as an artist, you know?

I want to make an impact

And I say this to Tennessee and he says--

Maybe next year
If the economy picks up

Well guess what?

It is never going to pick up!

Not to the point where it's safe
To stir shit up!

So you just have to go ahead and do it

At least that's what I thought anyway

People in this country are walking around
Dying to find a way
To say what they're feeling
And we, as artists, have that power
To express those feelings
So if we say 'No, we're not going to do that'
Then it's like Superman refusing to fly!

I love working at this theater
I really do

But sometimes I feel like
I might as well be doing the roadshow
Of Annie, Get Your Gun
For all the difference I'm making
By being here

Sometimes it just doesn't feel like enough, you know?

To stand by
And be silent

To not speak up
It's...

Well, it's frustrating
I'll just say
It's frustrating

But, uh, don't tell my boss I said that, okay?

I mean, I don't want to be out of a job right now either

It's nuts out there

No comments:

Post a Comment