Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Country Wife

Sarah got sick in the fall of 1986
It was her fourth and final season
With the company
And we were…flourishing

Our production of The Country Wife
Was one of the best-selling shows
In the company's history

In.  It's.  History

Some people say that we weren’t
That the company was eroding
That the theater was becoming stagnant

I can assure you
Those people are wrong

They’re probably jealous

As someone who was a member of the acting company
I can tell you that we’ve dealt with a lot of jealousy over the year

Now, some of my colleagues
My family really
These people
In this acting company with me

Might say they feel guilty about it
Or that they’ve one this or that wrong
But let me tell you something
I Do Not.  Feel guilty.

I have no reason to
I received
Earned
Sorry
What every actor
In this country wants
And has wanted
Since the dawn of time

A seat at the table

I was a member
Of the most prestigious acting company
In America
And I fought like hell
To get there
So no, I have nothing to apologize for

And why was I or the other actors in my company
Attacked by our fellow artists, I might ask?

Jealousy

Plain and simple

Any single one of those other artists
Would have killed
To have taken our place
And believe me
They would not
Have felt guilty about it

And when Sarah got sick
And spent an entire season
Directing shows inches from her deathbed
Only to finally…

She was my hero

A good woman
And a good Artistic Director
And when she died

Nobody from the community
The beloved, pitiable
Locked-out community
Who never stepped FOOT in the fucking door
Of our theater
Just because she didn’t put them onstage
Calling it principle
When it was really hideous envy

NONE of them
Showed up at her funeral

You want to know about art and artists and actors?

Not a single one of them
Worries about anybody
Other than themselves

And none of them
Has an ounce of respect
For anything
Other than their own work
And ambitions

And that’s verse and scripture
And this is coming
From a preacher’s daughter
So don’t think I don’t know selfishness
And good when I see it

We did good things
Great things
With that company
Because of Sarah
Because of how hard she worked

And to talk about her
Like she’s some kind of pariah
Because she didn’t put a few more people onstage
So they could feel included?

That wasn’t her job!

It wasn’t her job to save everybody
Dammit, she couldn’t even save herself
Once the cancer set in

I don’t understand the point of this
Having all of us
Talk about the theater

The theater’s there
It’s running

You wanna know about it?

Go see a show

But why dredge up the past?
Why smear the dead?
Why talk about past grievances
As if we can do a damn thing about them?

Let it alone, all right?

Just let it alone

My daddy used to say
The answers you don’t know
Are usually the answers
You don’t want to know

And trust me
That man knew what he was talking about

No comments:

Post a Comment