Friday, July 20, 2012

Mother Courage and Her Children

Every year
In the spring
When they put the season posters together
A bunch of us in the business office
Would get together
And determine
Which show
Was going to fail

In 2010-2011 Season, it was Mother Courage and Her Children

We just had a feeling
It would fail

Everybody put money down
Toasted another season on the books
And bid each other farewell for the summer

I went to my family’s lake house
In upstate New York
And read all the plays for the upcoming season

Once again, I was pretty sure
That Mother Courage was going to bomb

The summer goes by
I get back together
With the boyfriend I broke up with
Before the summer started
In the event that I wanted to mess around
With one of the lake boys

We start the season
The first two shows tank

In the Boom Boom Room was a huge disaster

Then Mother Courage opens
And we’re all thinking
This is it

Brace yourselves

And…it’s a hit

A huge hit

People loved it

To this day, I still don’t know why

Not that it wasn’t a good show
But…I don’t know

I don’t know what it was about it
That people responded to

You never really know

You can’t just look at a poster
Or a title
Or a script
And figure out
Whether or not
People are going to check into it, you know?

It never occurred to me until then
That staring at poster art
And making a determination
About what would one day be this full production is…

Silly

Especially for me, you know?

I should know better

But we still take bets every season
Because it’s something to do

Except now, I never count anything out

It’s theater, right?

It’s all about surprises

No comments:

Post a Comment