Monday, July 9, 2012

What the Butler Saw


The last show at the Orpheus Theater
That I saw
While I was alive
Was What the Butler Saw

I remember thinking it dragged
Which is unfortunate
But that’s theater

Win some, lose some

I was the Artistic Director of the theater
For four years
And because of that
There is a plaque in the lobby
That has my name on it
And there’s a little plaque beneath the bench
That you can sit on
Even though nobody does
Because they think it’s a landmark or something

Beau, the theater’s founder, has a statue modeled after him
His wife, Beth, who ran the company after him, has the upstairs theater named after her
And Enrico, the crazy European who took over the theater for a season
And nearly destroyed the place
Has gone into legend

I, on the other hand, have just become a sort of footnote

I did well, I guess
I ran the theater as I saw fit
I made some good decisions
And some bad ones
But, I’d rather not talk about that

They don’t ask dead people to talk
So that we can lay all our regrets you

You just want to hear my thoughts
On the Orpheus

On the acing company

Well, I guess, since I always considered myself a story-teller
The best thing I can do
Is tell you a story

During the winter of 1987
The year I died
And was also, previously
Very sick with cancer
The town the theater’s in
Experienced the worst snowstorm
It had ever seen
In thirty years

I had to then make that grandiose decision
That all directors have to make at one time or another:

Does the show go on?

Being on the verge of death
And clinging to the belief
That some things are eternal
I said ‘Yes, the show goes on’

It went on all right
But not for an audience

Nobody showed up

There was eight feet of snow outside
The actors only got there
Because most of them had slept in the downstairs theater
The night before
When it started coming down

‘Well,’ I said, ‘I guess there isn’t going to be a show after all’

And they said—‘Oh yes, there is’

And they sat me down in the audience
And did the show for me

Just for me

And as a director, I have to say
It dragged in the second act
But nevertheless
It was an incredibly sweet gesture

That was the acting company
My acting company

They did an entire show
So their dying boss
Could enjoy herself
One last time

So even though it dragged
It was also my favorite moment
Of all the moments I had
At that the theater
Or in theater at all

You know, I started as an actress
I started as one of them
And then I sort of ascended into a higher position
And a lot of people didn’t like me for that
But I didn’t care

But of course I did
Like I said, I was an actress
People loving me was crucial to my being           

And when I became the Artistic Director
I had to make a lot of hard choices
And so by the time I was…uh, when I finished
I assumed everybody in the company
Hated me

And maybe some of them did
But, regardless of that
They still rallied for me
And I…

They were the finest group of people
I ever had the privilege
To know
And work with

That’s all I’ll say

But please, do me a favor

The next time you pass that bench

Have a seat

Okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment