Monday, July 9, 2012

Noises Off

We used to call him Mr. Hollywood
Jim, our Artistic Director
After Sarah

Sarah was sort of—

Of the people
And Jim was, uh…

God, there’s a term for this

Oh right, he was a dickhead

Jim was a dickhead

But we couldn’t call him that
Obviously
So we called him Mr. Hollywood
Because everything about him
Was flash and panache

You know what I mean?

His first show at the theater
Was NOT his first show as Artistic Director
Because he was helping out
With a film in New York at the time
And by helping out
I mean, doing extra work
And that’ll give you an idea
Of where his priorities were

So the 1987-1988 season opened
With who the hell knows what
And the second show
Was Jim Powers’ production
Of Noises Off

Now, I should tell you
That Jim knew as much about comedy
As I know about Mandarin

Oh sure, I might be able to fake a little
But after awhile
You’re going to see that I’m out of my element

That was Jim and that was his first production

A big fake-out

And nobody bought it

And the thing about Jim was
If his show failed
He wanted nothing to do with it

If a show was a success
He was there for every performance
And if it flopped
He disappeared from sight
Until it closed

In other words, he left us actors hanging
With his failure

What a leader, huh?

He also fired someone
Whenever his work didn’t sell
Or got a bad review from the local paper

So when Noises Off got panned
He came backstage at the very next performance
And told me it was going to be my last show
And that the understudy was going on for me
The next day

I proceeded to take the prop axe
Which was not a prop axe at all
Because back then our props intern
Was a kid from the local high school
Who smoked more pot than everybody in Jefferson Airplane

I took that axe
And chased Jim around with it backstage
While the show was going on

Quietly, I might add
Very quietly

I’m nothing if not a professional

That was my last show at the Orpheus
And Jim’s first firing

And none of my fellow actors said shit
Because they were all just happy
To have survived the requisite transition period
Where a new AD comes in
And somebody gets canned

Little did they know
That transition was going to go on a lot longer
Than one show

As a matter of fact
It never ended
And when it was over
All that was left of that place
Was four walls and a door

But I’ll let somebody else tell you about that

It’s hard for me to talk about that place now, you know?

I’m just glad Beau wasn’t there to see what happened to it

If it’d been him backstage that day
Jim would still have an axe through his forehead

No comments:

Post a Comment