Thursday, July 19, 2012

Hedda Gabler

I said, ‘Ten, we had a deal
We had a deal
That we wouldn’t come here
You know you have too much baggage
Associated with this place
But, you know, he didn’t want to hear it
So, fuck it, we came’

Great

He promised me Hedda Gabler
He said ‘You’ve always wanted to play Hedda
Do this
Move with me
And I’ll give you Hedda
It’s a great opportunity’

Yeah, an opportunity for every girl in the acting company
To hate my guts

And I was too young to play Hedda
Although, I guess, not really
I’m sure other people have done it
But nobody I knew

My husband’s father went through girl after girl
Wife after wife because of this place
And now he wanted to take his father’s job
And tell me
That it wouldn’t be like that for us?

And I believed him

He waited until his second season
To announce Hedda
To sort of, sneak it in
Without anybody noticing
He was giving his wife
This great role
And it didn’t work

Everybody noticed
Actors don’t miss a thing
And they raised hell
And it got back to the Board
And the Board called him in
And said something would have to be done

To appease those poor sensitive actors
In the acting company

Something would have to be done
To show that there would be no more favoritism
Even though every Artistic Director everywhere
Plays favorites
And casts themselves in shows
And fucks anything they want

No, but in this case
There needed to be consequences
To ensure that Tennessee
Wouldn’t wind up
Just like his father

A regular Julius Caesar

So they asked him to fire me

They asked him to fire
His own wife

And do you know what?

He did it

He told me he had to
What choice did he have?

This was the Orpheus Theater
This theater had his family’s blood in it

Well, I punched him in the nose
And added some more blood
To the carpet

Then I left

He said it wasn’t choosing the theater over me
It was just giving into the Board
So one of us could keep our jobs
But I said that was bullshit
Because it was

I took off and I never came back

I had no urge to

This theater is nothing
But a roomful of ghosts

My husband’s lost
Somewhere in that theater, you know
The husband I showed up with anyway

My husband
And his father
His mother
And God knows who else

They should just board it up
Like a tomb
Before it claims anybody else

Because trust me
Nobody gets out of that place alive

No comments:

Post a Comment