Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Lower Depths

The last show I ever saw
At the theater I started
Was The Lower Depths
By Gorky

Not exactly an uplifting theatrical experience
But…

I was given the opportunity
After a successful return
To a theater I’d been driven out of once
To drive myself out
So as to avoid embarrassment
Even though, at that point
It was already too late

I’d driven home a girl
While slightly inebriated
And we crashed into a store

A piece of glass
From the store window
Came down through the roof of my convertible
And it, uh…

Well, use your imaginations

I’m lucky I wasn’t thrown in jail
I had very good lawyers back then

Shakespeare said ‘Kill all the lawyers’
I always was more of an Ibsen man

Do you hear it?

Do you hear my pretentious
Academic, artistic
Know-it-all tone?

I can’t help it

You become an Artistic Director
And you adopt this tone

You can’t stop yourself

You become insufferable

Do you know what I gave up for that theater?

Can you even begin to comprehend
What I gave up
So I could give
So I could give to others
The gift, that wonderful gift
Of theater?

I’m not being facetious here
On the contrary

What I gave—for years
Was thrown away
Tossed

Because I had a few too many one night
And, in the process of doing a good deed
An innocent person was hurt

I’m not trying to devalue what happened
Devalue?  Is that what I mean to say?

Can someone—

Jesus

I used to be good at this

At speaking

At speech

I was good

I gave up my marriage
For this
A good marriage
My son
So I could have this stage
So I could share this
So I could give good people
Talented people
The opportunity TO SPEAK!

I gave up years of my life
And connection

So many connections
Relationships

Because I was better alone

Because I was better off
Doing it all on my own

You can’t begin to understand
How lonely it was

No wonder I fucking drank
You miserable…

I sat there
And watched a show
At my theater

Just sat there

Saying ‘this is it’

‘This is it’

And when the show was over I sat there
While others were clapping
I sat there

When the lights went out
I was still sitting there

I just faded away

That’s all I can remember

Just fading away into the darkness

And when the ghostlight came out
And came, I…

I wasn’t there
And then I wasn’t

I just…ceased to be

Even the lights couldn’t touch me
Anymore

No comments:

Post a Comment