Friday, July 20, 2012

The Bad Seed

I remember that they wanted me to cut my hair
And I had no intention
NO intention
Of cutting
My hair

They thought I was being all cute and precocious
Like, ‘Oh, isn’t she sweet.  Doesn’t want to cut her hair’
And so then the director said—

‘Sweetie, you have to cut your hair.
Otherwise you might not be able to be in the show’

So I threatened to take them to court
And then they backed down

You know, they were sooo put off
By what a little brat I was
But then again
That’s why they cast me

We were doing The Bad Seed
For crying out loud

Of course, this was four years ago
So I’m a little older now
A little more easy to deal with

That was back before I discovered Eastern philosophy
And Adderall

Mostly the Adderall

But I’m not here to share treasured childhood memories
I’m here because I recently became the National Spokesgirl
For Penmark Jeans
And sadly
That makes me
One of this theater’s most successful alumna

I wonder how that must make
All the actors feel
Knowing that their own administration
Considers them second place
To a girl who booked a national campaign
Just because she was walking through the mall
At just the right time

The problem with the Orpheus
If I may be so bold
Is that it’s currently run by spin doctors
And not just the people who are paid to be spin doctors either
But everyone—

The Artistic staff
The actors
The ushers

They’re all about fame

This place is a theater
Fame has nothing to do with it

Although we can’t really start talking about fame
That’s a different show

This is just about actors and acting
And I am not an actress
I never was
Not a good one anyway

I was decent enough at playing myself
But putting on a character never suited me

Although I suppose I’ll be a pretty good
Spokesperson for those heinous jeans

But that’s nothing to be proud of

The actors here should be proud
But they’re not
Because people like me
Get paid more than they do
And what’s worse
We get more attention

And most of them will never be okay with that
Which I find incredibly sad

Because the truth is
I’d rather be them
Than me

I used to look up to these people
Even if I did make their lives a living hell
While I was working with them
And now…

Well now they seem even smaller
Than I was back then

Well, if you’ll excuse me
I think they want to take my picture or something

Taking pictures is still one thing
I know how to do
Well

No comments:

Post a Comment