Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Dark at the Top of the Stairs

We did the The Dark at the Top of the Stairs
Without stairs

This was 1997
November, I think

And we had this director
That went to college with Samantha
So she hired him
Even though I’m fairly sure
He was brain dead

And I don’t mean disabled
I mean, clinically brain dead
Because, as I said
We did The Dark at the Top of the Stairs
Andno stairs

Not that the stairs are an integral part of the play
But they are mentioned in, you know
The title

So…there you go

(Clears throat)

Does anybody have a drink?

I could really go for a drink

I don’t look old enough to drink, I know

You forget that 1997
Was fifteen years ago
Although I do prefer
My eighteen-year-old form
Much better
I will admit

We didn’t even have the suggestion of stairs
We didn’t even hint at stairs
We were stairless

So where the dark was
I have no idea

The director had this very bare bones fetish
And so all we had were chalk drawings of furniture on the ground
And this live chicken
That kept running around
And it was meant to symbolize—

Jesus, I don’t know
Suffering, or something
God knows I was suffering

Can nobody find me a fucking drink?
Jesus Christ
Just a drink, people
Just anything

I started drinking around that time, you know

Had my first drink
With one of the older actors in the cast

I was indoctrinated into that special club
Of drinking actors
A subset of the actual acting company
Which I was never actually allowed to join
Because that, uh, director
Said that I was difficult
And by ‘difficult’ he meant
That I wouldn’t put his dick
Anywhere near me

Do you understand what I’m saying?

Do you get all of this?

Now can somebody get me a DRINK?

It’s surreal

It really is

This—whatever

Nobody believed me

Why should they?

I was lying

And yet I believed it

Because we fucked

He and I

But in my mind
I thought it was wrong

It wasn’t forced
But I thought it was wrong
All the same

Does that make sense?

Fuck you

It doesn’t need to make sense
To you

Only me

No stairs
Chalk drawings
A hand up my skirt
Yes, that’s fine

That’s just fine

Go higher, all right?

Go higher

I’ll see you when you get there

Go until you feel the dark

That’s right

There you are

Now can I have a drink?

Really, that’s all I want

A nice
Cool
Drink

No comments:

Post a Comment