Wednesday, July 18, 2012

All My Sons

Right before Samantha left
She gave me a choice

I could have the lead role
In All My Sons
If I broke up with my boyfriend

You know, it was her final motherly act of meddling
Before gracefully bowing out
To run this bullshit children’s theater
In Kentucky

The longest tenure
Any Artistic Director had ever served
And she was leaving us
To go do Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
For fourth graders
In the middle of nowhere

I was pissed
Because, you know, in some ways
She was like my mother

But in other ways
I just wanted to tell her
To fuck off, because…

My boyfriend wasn’t some monster, you know?

He just didn’t like me doing theater

So I cut back
Which a lot of people do
Theater takes up a lot of time
And sometimes it’s hard on a relationship
So you have to cut back
Everybody does

Women cut back to have children
Men cut back so they have coronaries
From the fucking stress of it all
And I cut back because my boyfriend asked me to
But somehow that meant I was in this
Unhealthy relationship

But she knew I wanted that role
And she knew what it would mean to me
To be in her last show
The last one she directed

So she gave me this ultimatum

Break up with him
‘He’s not supportive of you’

Man, fuck you, lady

I said to her
I said—‘Do you think I want to end up like you?
Alone like you?
At least I have someone
At least I have something
Other than this fucking theater’

Because a lot of them don’t, you know
These actors, in this company
This is all they fucking have

Yeah, maybe my boyfriend’s no prize
But he’s something I can go home to
When this fucking place is too much
And that’s…

She gave me the role

Didn’t speak to me outside of rehearsals
Didn’t hug me when she left
Didn’t so much as say good-bye, but…

You know, things are said

What can I tell you?

Things are said
That can’t be unsaid

I lost the asshole anyway

A few years later, he…

He took off

That was after I officially quit
The company for him

A part of me is wondering
When Sam is going to call
To say ‘I told you so’

Part of me wouldn’t mind
Just hearing her voice again, you know?

It’d be a nice thing
To hear

1 comment: