Monday, September 5, 2011

The Angel in the Penthouse

I didn't ask for the penthouse
I would have been perfectly happy
With the seventy-third floor
Or something like that

The penthouse is a bit much
For an angel

Oh sure, it makes me feel a bit closer to home
But it seems so decadent

There aren't any rules
About where you can live
When you're working on Earth
But I'm assuming a penthouse
Might be frowned upon

I suppose I should be living
In Calcutta amongst the beggars
Showing them the way of the Lord
And telling them he doesn't mind
If you smell like a goat

Oh dear, that was sort of elitist, wasn't it?

I've started soaking in
My surroundings

I can't help it

When I first landed
I noticed that they had put me
In a rather attractive body
Which I knew would end up
Defeating the purpose

Oh sure, it would make more people want to talk to me
But nobody actually believed I could do anything for them
Everyone thought I needed saving
That I was a damsel in distress

One man insisted on helping me across the street

I said, 'Sir, I was there when the Lord split the world in half and flooded it down the middle.'
And he said, 'That's nothing.  I just talked to Joan of Arc on the subway.'

...And he wasn't kidding

Nobody thinks I'm crazy here
But nobody takes me seriously either

Then one night, I've had enough

I go into a bar
Just for a ginger ale, mind you
And this gentleman meets me
And we get to talking and...

He has money

Lots of money

And I think to myself--'Great!  I can convince him to donate it to people in need!'

So we go back to his place
A penthouse
And one thing led to another
And the next thing I know--

We're married

Okay, so maybe it was a little more complicated than that
But I promise it was a very whirlwind sort of thing

And now I'm here in a penthouse
An angel
And a trophy wife

And all I can do is look down
On people

And what good is that?

Since the dawn of Time I've done nothing BUT look down on people
And I was hoping for a change

But I guess you can't keep an angel
Away from Heaven

I'll probably just give up
And fly right back there

...Someday

...Someday soon of course

But not today

I mean, I'm much too busy today

A hair appointment
Shopping with Beverly
A show tonight with my hus--

You know, we used to have a little joke in Heaven

What's worse than a Fallen Angel?

You know what the answer is?

...A Forgotten one

No comments:

Post a Comment