Saturday, September 3, 2011

While I Read Your Goodbye Letter

I'll break bread
And eat it messily
While the crumbs
Crumble over
The thick, wooden table
That you wanted to buy

I'll leave the lights off
Except for candles
And see if I can finish
A bottle of wine

I'll stack up books I want to read
And write a list of the friends
I need to phone

I'll make other lists too
Bigger, better lists
Of things
I've been meaning
To want
To do

I'll do dishes
And vacuum
And clean up the bathroom
And hang up old photos
While others come down

I'll unsubscribe to magazines
And change the answering machine message
Then throw the answering machine out

Nobody has them anymore, anyway

I'll buy fancy pens
And plan to pen a retort
But it'll end up being much shorter
Than I'd like it to be

So often we think we need a novel
When a haiku will do

You are gone now, huh?
Well isn't that great for you?
And so what about me?

What a sad little poem

And yet...

I'll put down the paper
I'll pick up the keys
I'll pass by your picture on the fridge
On my way out the door

Another thing to remove
To take down, to erase

I'll go out somewhere
And feel like this is a beginning
And not an end
When really, it feels like I'm in the middle

When you're too invested in the book to quit
But too bored to continue
And so you stare at the page
And wonder, what now?

What should I do now?

I'll...

I'll...

I'll think of all these things
I'll think of doing them
And other things
Big things, important things

All while I read
And eat the bread
And drink the wine

While I read your goodbye letter

And cry, and try
And try not to cry

And trying may be all I do
While I read

It's all I've done
For such a long time

I'm not sure I know how to do
Much else

No comments:

Post a Comment