Monday, September 19, 2011

The Sensation of Drowning

Here we float
In a room filled with water
Past the bed
With the dry sheets
Through the window
With the black glass
Out into the yard
Where the sun has gone blue
And when I see you
You swim away

Here, when we drown
We feel ourselves fill up
With missed opportunity
More so than ocean water

We dog paddle past the presents
We forgot to return
And despite being submerged in fluid
We feel like we're burning
And so what do we do
To put ourselves out?

I find myself thirsty
Constantly, endlessly

You hold out a glass
With nothing in it
But I guess it's only empty
Because water is the new air
But still I refuse
I refuse to drink air
Even new air

My eyes won't close now
My legs atrophy
My mouth is in a perpetual state of surprise
And my hair flies around me
Like eels or snakes

I bake you a cake
And you say it's too spongy
Well, no shit
Look around
Have you not looked around?

There's no density anymore
No weight
No gravity

Between you and me
There's clarity
But that's just because
The water's nice

I'm drowning, you know
Not drowned yet, but drowning

And there's a sensation to it
To drowning
That some find appealing

So they fill up their houses with water
And swim until they're tired

Then they lay back on their beds
And let the rest
Happen
Around them

1 comment: