Tuesday, September 20, 2011

You Must Be My Competition


You must be my competition
That must be why we can’t be
Holding hands and drinking milkshakes
Acting like the happy people do

You must be too strong for me
And I must be too loud for you

You must need the spotlight
And think
It’s not big enough for two

You must find me similar
And so you run to a quiet place

You must see me looking back
When you’re looking at your face

You must find my jokes too funny
You must find my wit too quick
You must find yourself attracted
Too much so to do something about it

You must think we’d kill each other
Or love each other far too much
That must be why you repel
Every time we touch

You must not be able to
Pinpoint all the things I’ll do

You must find that disconcerting
That must be too hard for you

You must think I’d take away
Everything that makes up you
You must not know that’s the last thing
That I’d wanna do

You must be my competition
Thinking that it’s you or me
You must have decided that awhile ago
That this is the way it has to be

You must think we’re better off
Being with people who aren’t like us
You must want a soundless love
You must not want a lot of fuss

You must be doing what makes you happy
Or at least I hope you do
You must have this all figured out
If not then I feel sorry for you

No comments:

Post a Comment