Tuesday, September 20, 2011

This Might Be Your Pizza


This might be your pizza

Wait, just wait

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves

It might be a pizza

Or it might be something else

Something better

Am I a pizza delivery man?

Yes

Do I deliver pizzas?

Yes

Did you order a pizza?

I don’t know

Did you?

You might have

You might have done a lot of things

You might have wanted a lot of things

And thought that only pizza
Could be provided for you
In a timely manner

Specifically twenty-two minutes

You say you smell pepperoni?

You might

But is that all you want in life?

Pepperoni?

Black olives?

Extra cheese?

I think we can do better than that
Don’t you?

What about peace, huh?

What about peace of mind?

No, not world peace

I’m merely a pizza delivery man

I do have my limits

But I can, possibly, offer you more
Than just simple culinary satisfaction

What I’m saying is this—

Marry me

I know we’ve just met
But how long do you really need to spend with someone
To know that you’re meant to be together

The second you opened the door
And I could see that you were attractive
I knew I should cut my losses
Stop flitting around the globe
Or, more specifically, the greater Providence area
And settle down with you

Clearly, you’re hungry
And I don’t just mean
In a literal sense

I can see that you want more out of life
And I can give you that

I work hard
I’m a good driver
Time is important to me
I’m polite
I’m cheerful
I hum while I walk

I’m basically a catch

And even though you’re attractive
I’d also like to point out
That it’s a Saturday night
It’s only eight o’clock
And you’re home
In your pajamas
Ordering a pizza
And, if my top-notch hearing is correct
And I believe it is
You’ve got ‘Sleepless in Seattle’
Playing on your television
As we speak

I think we both know
It’s time to take action

So I’ll leave this pizza here with you

On the house

And by the house, I mean
I’ll tell my boss
You found a dead fly on it
And I let you keep it

Oh don’t worry
The only thing you’re going to find on that pizza
Is my phone number
Spelled out
In anchovies

Hopefully you’ll use it
And by ‘hopefully you’ll use it’
I mean—

You’re going to die alone
If you don’t do something fast

Enjoy the pizza

…Uh, by the way

Just because I’m the future husband
Please don’t let that discourage you
From tipping me

I really want this relationship
To be fifty-fifty

Don’t you?

No comments:

Post a Comment