Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Artists Look for Inspiration By Staring at the Ceiling


‘I see…’
‘I see nothing.’
‘I see a bunny.’
‘I see the Sistine Chapel.’
‘No, you don’t.’
‘I see a bunny.’
‘Shut up about the bunny.’
‘I see nothing.’
‘No, you don’t.’
‘You can’t tell me I don’t see nothing.  That’s a double negative.’
‘You’re looking at something.  You have to see something.’
‘Fine.  I see a ceiling.’
‘Wouldn’t this be easier if we went outside and looked at clouds?’
‘I saw a cloud that looked like a bunny once.’
“Enough about the bunny.”
“It was pink.”
“The cloud was pink?”
“No, the bunny was.”
“But the cloud was the bunny.”
“It was a representation of the bunny.”
“No, it wasn’t.  It was a cloud that looked like a bunny.  Clouds don’t represent anything.  Something that looks like something is not representing anything.”
“I see…”
“I see Tony Orlando.”
“Who?”
“You know—‘Knock Three Times.’  Tony Orlando.”
“Do you see Dawn?”
“No.”
“Well, then I doubt you’re seeing Tony Orlando.  You can’t see Tony Orlando without Dawn.”
“I see world peace.”
“No, you don’t!  You can’t SEE world peace!”
“It’s pink.”
“World peace would not be pink!”
“I see cracks in the ceiling.”
“We’re supposed to be using our imaginations here.  We’re artists.  We’re supposed to lay back and let creativity take over and guide us towards inspiration.”
“I see the Pips.”
“Jesus.”
“You see Jesus?”
“No, I’m saying—“
“Is Gladys Knight with them?”
“No, they’re with Tony Orlando.”
“Why would the Pips be with Tony Orlando?”
“I don’t know.  Should I ask them?”
“Yes, explore that.”
“Don’t tell him to explore that!  What the hell is that going to do for him?”
“It’s all about letting your subconscious take over.”
“So you want his subconscious to talk to Tony Orlando and find out why he stole the Pips from Gladys Knight?”
“I see a puppy playing with a lion cub.”
“A lion cub would eat a puppy.”
“Not this lion cub.”
“Does this lion cub have teeth?”
“Yes.”
“Does this lion cub get hungry?”
“Yes.”
“Has this lion cub been raised by puppies?”
“No.”
“Then this lion cub is eating that puppy.”
“I see…”
“I see a ceiling fan.”
“Move beyond the ceiling.”
“I could if we could go outside.”
“Some people were distracted outside.”
“There were bunnies.”
“I smelled urine.”
“I see…”
“So we’ll just stay here, and let the quiet instruct us.”
Knock three times…”
“Music can also be very instructive.”
Twice on the pipe…
“I see…”
“Now I see a bunch of friends enjoying each other’s company while they look up at a pretty ceiling where there are lots of fun images just waiting to be discovered.”
“I see mass murder and destruction.”
Oh my darling…
“I’m see…”
“Maybe we should try something else.”

No comments:

Post a Comment