Saturday, September 17, 2011

I'm Not Taking Your Name


Oliver, I am not taking your name

I’m sorry
I thought about it
And I just can’t do it

Please believe that it was given serious consideration

Friends were consulted
Pro and con lists were made
I tried saying my first name
With your last name
Over and over again

But I’ve come to the conclusion
That it’s just not going to happen

Because Oliver
Your last name is Shitsky

Now, I could tell you
That there’s nothing WRONG
With the name Shitsky, Oliver

But we both know I’d be lying

There are many, many things wrong
With the last name Shitsky

And, even though I am very, very sorry
That you have to go through life
With that last name

I don’t see why anybody else should have to
Unless they have the misfortune
Of being born
Into the name

Which reminds me
If we have any children
They’ll also be taking my last name

I think the Shitsky dynasty
Is one that needs to be faded out
As quickly as possible

It’s not that I don’t love
The man BEHIND the name, Oliver
But, luckily, it’s not the 1920’s

Women can now vote
And get divorced
And refuse to take on the repugnant names
Of their husbands

And I am deciding
To take the course
Of the modern woman, Oliver

I am keeping my name

I cannot go through life as Donna Shitsky

I can’t, Oliver
I simply can’t

I hope you understand

…You do?

Oh Oliver, you’re such a catch!

Thank goodness I’m marrying
Such a modern man!

…You know, Oliver

You may want to think about taking MY name

Wouldn’t that be a nice gesture?

And then neither one of us
Would be a Shitsky

What?

Well, why not?

No, I don’t see what’s wrong with it

Dickamy is a wonderful last name!

No comments:

Post a Comment