Saturday, September 10, 2011

Nobody Lives in America Anymore

Z’s in China
Doing the Deal
You know the Deal?
The Big Deal
That we’re working out
For 2014?

It’s a Huge Deal
And Z’s handling it

Moved there a month ago
Says it’s wild
Says you can get great pizza there

All this time we’ve been worried about the Chinese buying us out
Taking over

Turns out we should have been worried
About our pizza

Do you have any idea how heavily the American economy
Relies on the pizza industry?

And China’s ready to swoop right in
And decimate the market

I mean, they’re doing things with pizza

--And this is all coming from Z, I Skyped with him last night, he’s getting fat

They’re doing things with pizza
That we haven’t even considered

They are taking a fresh, bold look at pizza
And we need to worry about that

We need to be considering that
And we’re not, you know?

I mean, we’re just not

We’re a country of fucking ostriches, man
Everybody’s got their head in the sand
Waiting for somebody to tug on their neck
And say, ‘Hey!  Look around you!  Shit’s on fire!’

But we’re all in the sand
Everybody in this country
Is in the sand

And those of us from this country
Who aren’t in the sand
Just gotta stand by and watch

Because I know

--And this is just me speaking, and yeah, you know, I’m selfish, but there’s a book called ‘Being Selfless in a Selfish Age, or Self-Sabotage’ which I really want you to read—

I know that I don’t want to spend my life
Walking around
Yanking the necks of ostriches
Saying China’s got pizza that tastes like wine and caviar
And what the fuck are you going to do about it?

Not my job, you know?
Not my job

And who wants that job?

Nobody

Nobody’s here anymore
Nobody’s here to do anything

America’s one big fucking abandoned amusement park

I mean, sure
It’s kinda fun to be the only one on the roller coaster
But eventually the zombies show up
And eat your fucking brains
You know what I’m saying?

It’s depressing

I fly in from London for two days
I make a couple of calls
To see who’s around
And I realize—

--You know what I fucking realize?

Nobody lives in America anymore

Think about it

Z’s in China
T’s working in Quebec
L’s been stuck in India for three years
Trying to slow those fuckers down
Because otherwise we might as well pick up Silicon Valley
And all of Seattle
And just dump it right in the middle of Mumbai
Because that’s how good those fuckers are getting
At doing OUR jobs

And you know, just
It’s, you know

It’s like I’m going back to my old college when I come here, man
It’s like I’m taking a trip down memory lane
Instead of visiting what’s-supposed-to-be the superpower
Where I grew up
And fucked
And learned to cut a contract
In less than two hours

What the fuck—you know?

Listen man, all I’m saying is you gotta think about getting the fuck out of here

That position they’re talking to you about in Tokyo?

Consider it, man

We can’t fight the river anymore
There’s no point to it

We gotta think about this a whole new way
The way L’s doing it in India

We gotta start thinking about creating our own Americas
In all these places where they’re shipping us

They’re—

--Whether they know it or not, and you know, I’m not a conspiracy nut, but part of me thinks they know it—

They’re diluting the country

People say ripping, ripping apart
There’s no ripping going on, man
We’d notice ripping

What’s happening is dilution

We had ourselves a gin and tonic
And they keep pouring in the tonic
And pouring out the gin
And then they wonder
Why we’re all so fucking sober and morbid
When two am rolls around

Do you get what I’m saying to you?

Man, set up another line for me, all right?
I’m really getting into this shit

This philosophy stuff

This is what we need in the world right now

Prophets, man, we need prophets

That’s what made Ancient Greece what it was
Before Cleopatra wiped out all that shit

What the fuck was I saying?

Right, dilution

It’s a fucking Diaspora man

You know my father’s Jewish
I know about all this shit
Getting Schismed and shit
I know about that, man

Last night Z and I were Skyping, and he just started crying man
I felt so bad, man
The fat fuck was balling his eyes out
All because he misses home

And not just because he misses home
But because he knows there’s no home
Left to go to anymore, you know?

He doesn’t want to come back here
And ride the fucking bumper cars
BY HIMSELF

He wants to come back
And find some family sitting around
Like a Norman Rockwell painting
Eating turkey
And playing touch football
Like the fucking Kennedys
And it’s not going to happen, you know?

Nobody’s here
Nothing’s left

Everybody’s so worried
That some terrorist
Is going to set off some bomb somewhere

Yeah, guess what?

Bomb’s already gone off

A culture bomb
A financial bomb
A fucking bomb-ba-bomb-bum-bomb-bum-bomba

Bang, you know?

BANG!

Nobody lives in America anymore

And it’s scary, man
It’s fucking scary

Hey, order me a pizza

Set up another line
Then order me a pizza
I don’t fucking care from where
As long as it’s not from China

I want to eat some American fucking pizza
You know what I mean?

I want to eat a little bit of my country
Before I can’t anymore

Before it’s too fucking late

No comments:

Post a Comment