Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Where the Rain Won't Speak the Language

I want to go somewhere
Where I can sit for a few hours
And read a stack of magazines
Write something ambitious
Eat food I don't think I'll like
Sit and watch rain
And listen to it
See if it sounds familiar
I want to wind up somewhere
Where the rain won't speak the language

I want to fall in love
With a man who makes me laugh
Who wears wrinkled suit
With the tie undone
With a charming grin
With a torrid past
With a reluctance to fall in love
Who will fall in love anyway
When he sees me in the rain

I want a cat named Jack
And a dog named Charlie
I want plants that won't die
And fish that don't need to be fed
And a giant couch with a million pillows
And lava lamps that actually seem appropriate
And a rotary phone
And window that face the rain

I want to vacation
And want to come home
I want to go on wine-tasting tours
Even though I don't drink
I want to spend weeks
In foreign cities
Seeing theater while it rains

I want friends who teach English
And Philosophy
At various New England colleges
Who stay up until dawn with me
Discussing things we can't possibly understand
Like the language of the rain

I want to know how to cook
And knit
And change my oil
And make people like me instantly
And speak a million languages while it rains

I want to be successful
So successful
That I stop wanting
To be successful

I want to stop
Wanting so much

And I wonder if the rain could tell me how

If I lived somewhere
Where the rain
Would speak the language

No comments:

Post a Comment