Thursday, September 15, 2011

Sully the Cat Solves a Mystery


Pardon me, Inspector
I realize you’re about to solve a murder
But I’m afraid we have a bigger issue at hand

Somebody has stolen
My ball of yarn

Now, I don’t want to point fingers here
And I can’t, because I don’t have any

But it would seem to me
That your murder victim
And my missing ball of yarn
Could be related

And no, I don’t mean that they’re cousins

I mean, it’s possible
The yarn going missing
And your Mr. Moffet lying dead on the floor
Could be deeds both done
By the same cruel hand

That immediately rules me out because
As I’ve already said
No hands, cruel or otherwise

Now, I can see that you’ve lined up the suspects
A motley assortment, if ever there was one

The maid
The butler
The mistress
The mailman
And the dentist

I think we can safely rule out the dentist
Statistics show that murderers
Have a distinct aversion
To teeth

That mean we’re down to four

 The mailman and I both have the same natural enemy—dogs

That means that thought I wouldn’t put it past him
To kill somebody
I know deep down
He’d never be so heartless
As to steal a poor cat’s ball of yarn

Then there’s the mistress
Who, at the start of this weekend
Declared to everyone in the manor
That she’s ‘allergic to cats’

Allergic to cats?

ALLERGIC TO CATS?

That’s like being allergic to joy
To comfort
To chicken soup!

It’s very likely that someone with such an allergy
Must have the same genetic make-up
Of a drug smuggler or a serial killer

It’s pure evolution, my dear Inspector

BUT the mistress has an alibi

She was sleeping with the butler
At the time of the murder
Who, coincidentally
Has a yarn allergy

So that rules them both out
And I’m sure they’ll be very happy together
Despite the fact
That they have mutant D.N.A.

That just leaves the maid

HOWEVER

It’s clear, Inspector, that Mr. Moffat
Was strangled to death
Right here on the floor

The maid couldn’t possibly
Strangle a grown man

Just yesterday I saw her struggle
To open pry the lid loose
On a jar of peanut butter

So who killed Mr. Moffat?

If you notice the path his footprints made on the carpet
You can tell that he was flailing about

Trying to throw off his attacker?

Possibly

But what’s that little thread hanging out from underneath the bearskin rug?

YARN!

It has just occurred to me
That I left the ball of yarn
On the floor

It’s probable that Mr. Moffat walked into the room
Tripped on the ball on yarn
Sending it flying across the room
Leaving a string of it on the floor

When Mr. Moffat arose
He got tangled up in the yarn

(An easy thing to do.  I’ve nearly strangled myself on several occasions.  Yarn can be a dangerous obsession.)

He fell
And knocked himself unconscious

I doubt he’s actually dead

Has anybody checked his pulse?

Ah, you see?

Just sleeping peacefully

I should get going, Inspector

When he wakes up
He’s going to want to know
Who left that yarn there
And my fingerprints are all over that one

(Again, metaphorical fingerprints.  I’m just saying I’m the guilty party.)

Don’t bother congratulating me
For solving your mystery

If anyone needs me
I’ll be in the ballroom
Playing with my ball of yarn

If you don’t see me at dinner

Please—be concerned

No comments:

Post a Comment