Thursday, September 15, 2011

Why Mark's Afraid of Clowns


So I was at the circus
Freaking out
Because—

Oh, and I’m seven
I forgot to say that
I’m seven

So like, I’m little, okay?

And I didn’t want to go to the circus
Because I was scared of the tightrope walkers falling on me

Because the year before
They had the tightrope walkers
Walk over the audience
And I remember having a panic attack
And biting down on my father’s hand
For three minutes
Until the clowns came out

I used to LOVE the clowns
Because the clowns meant
That we were getting a break
From the freaky stuff
Like the lions and the fire eaters
And the tightrope walkers without a net

The clowns meant temporary salvation
And so I loved them

But I still used to beg my parents
To let me skip the circus altogether

And every year
They’d explain to me
That kids love the circus
And I needed to stop being
So sensitive

That was why the last time we went to the circus
I ran away

The plan was just to hide
Until the circus was over

I paid my little brother a dollar
To throw up on my mom
So that my parents would be distracted
And then I could slip away

I know it probably wasn’t nice to scare my parents like that
But I told my little brother to tell them
That I’d meet them in the parking lot
After the circus was over

I just couldn’t handle
All that stress

As soon as Luke puked on Mom
I high-tailed it out of there

The problem was
I didn’t know where to go

I ended up at the back of the arena
Where all the performers hang out
Before they go on

At first I was worried
That maybe they just let the lions
Wander free or something
But all I saw was the ringmaster
Smoking a cigarette
And talking to one of the poodle wranglers

Then I saw the car

It was this cute little bug
Hidden behind
A cardboard cut-out
Of Tipsy the Elephant

I figured that would be a good place
To hang out
Until the circus was over

So I climbed into the backseat
And put my head down
So I’d be hidden from view

Everything was going fine
Until I heard the voices
Coming towards the car

Before I know it
All the doors fly open
And sixteen clowns
Start piling into the car

They don’t even notice I’m there at first
They’re all just piling on top of me

And these weren’t classy clowns either
These were like the rejects from the rodeo

They smelled like booze and urine
And all of them had stubble on their faces
And one had a horn that kept squawking
Every time he’d move around

Then somebody yelled ‘Hey, there’s a kid in here!’

But by then, we were already
Going into the arena

I think I blacked out at that point
Because when I woke up
I was sitting at the Lost and Found
In the arena
And I had giant floppy shoes on

I never asked how that happened

After that, I wasn’t really scared of lions
Or anything, really
As much as I was scared of clowns

I still have nightmares
Where they’re piled all on top of me
And those little red noses
Are staring me
Right in the face

No comments:

Post a Comment